Wall drill required

Soldato
Hi all,

Need a general wall drill for plugging and screwing round the house. Mixture of hollow and solid walls. Any recommendations?

I'm not the most handy person when it comes to DIY but I notice with wall plugs they seem to be rated by number, I presume this is the length in inches of the screw required?

Thank you,

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys will look into suggestions now.

Something i'm confused on though, how much longer should the screw be then the plug? Is the a rule to follow?

I presume the depth of the hole to pre-drill should be very slightly longer then the screw itself?

Thanks,

Soldato
OP
Thank you Nick, advice much appreciated.

On the video you linked in above, I notice you have an SDS to Normal drill chuck (allowing pozi head screwing etc), are there any limitations using the drill in this way - at the least, would it be ok to put in the screw after the hole is drilled?

With such a drill, approximately what is the smallest to largest bit I can use?
And to confirm, when I am drilling the hole (into brick) I should be using hammer action?

I can see the advantages using a high-powered battery drill from a flexibility view, I do have a basic dewalt - good for screwing but not enough power for drilling. I think getting an SDS type drill would be the best option for me providing it will allow me to drill small holes also?

Thanks again,
Richard

Soldato
OP
Great advice, thank you. That's made things much clearer, I now think a high powered battery drill is the best solution for my needs.

Going back to wall plugs, when you are drilling the hole - are you using a stop gauge for getting the correct depth of hole?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom