Wall Sockets with USB C

Associate
Hi, I apologise if I am posting in the wrong area...I have looked but cannot find a previous thread... but I am trying to locate wall sockets that have USB C sockets on them?

The USB C connection has been around a while now but has anyone seen a wall socket on the market with these connections?

Soldato
Won't see them for a looong time. Not until they're ubiquitous with technology.

EDIT : I'm sure you'll find some hideously expensive ones sooner.

Soldato
Hi, I apologise if I am posting in the wrong area...I have looked but cannot find a previous thread... but I am trying to locate wall sockets that have USB C sockets on them?

The USB C connection has been around a while now but has anyone seen a wall socket on the market with these connections?
It's going to be a number of years before you see them because firstly the connector is much more flimsy than USB A, and secondly if you need to charge a USB C device you can just use a USB A to C cable, and thirdly the uptake isn't going well as flimsiness plus the ability to plug them in slightly easier without looking are the only selling points.

Soldato
I can't actually think of a reason to need a USB type C socket on a "charging only" socket, given that as others above have said, you can just buy a USB A-C cable, in fact that is what my phone actually shipped with thinking about it.

Soldato
Fast charge isn't the same wattage output. A Switch won't charge on a standard USB A connection (fast charge compatible or not).

A Switch will charge on a QC 2.0 socket, it just wont charge while you are playing it (it will maintain battery %). It will not go into docked mode without a proper type C with PD. It will charge on a standard 5W charger, it just takes forever and you can't use it at the same time.

USB C PD can be up to 100W so it would need quite the power brick inside the wall, not sure it would be possible/safe in the space provided in a normal back box.

The normal USB sockets can be really tight as it is.

Associate
I know this thread is old but I came across it asking the same question myself: can you get a wall socket with USB-C for fast charging?

Well the answer is now a yes, albeit with a small caveat.

13A 2G DP Switched Socket with Dual USB Charger (with a Type-C... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07K3LDWJT/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_awdb_t1_FUZgCbQX1V06Q

This does the job, having both Type A and C sockets. The only small caveat is that it has a maximum charge of 20W. Enough for an iPhone X or whatever but maybe could be bigger for a laptop or Switch etc.

Anyhoo. Just thought I’d share in case anyone else is still looking or comes across this thread in their search :)

Back
Top Bottom