Want to get a bike but don't know where to start.

Soldato
Hi all,

Been a car driver for the past 7 years, I'm 23 but want to learn to ride a bike (not a moped).

I'm looking for any help, advice and tips really as my current knowledge thus far is:

I need to do bike CBT test (which will allow me to ride a moped type bike.) Then a theory test then the 500+cc bike test? Is that right?

What are the costs involved getting through these?

Kind regards,
Rich

Soldato
Or you can do what I did and do a direct access course which has everything included and and means you can go from nothing > have a 4 day (ish) intensive course > and then be able to ride what you like at the end with no restrictions.

Probably cost £600 > £900 depending on how many days you need to get you up to test standard.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for replies,

Or you can do what I did and do a direct access course which has everything included and and means you can go from nothing > have a 4 day (ish) intensive course > and then be able to ride what you like at the end with no restrictions.

Probably cost £600 > £900 depending on how many days you need to get you up to test standard.

Did you do that? I am also in Bristol,

Soldato
I did, from what I remember it cost me a little over £600, was some time ago now and certainly well before the new test came in. That was for 1st day CBT, 2 days on a 500cc, then the test on 4th day morning.

I did it at http://www.bristolmotorcycletraining.co.uk/ and so did a few others around here, I'd certainly recommend them, I passed first time no problems.

One really good thing is that they are so big and have so many people doing the training all at once that they will rearrange the pairs on a daily basis to match our weak points with another person so you can concentrate on those maneuvers for that day with the instructor.

Soldato
First do your CBT and get L plates. Buy a 125cc then ride it for a while. Then when you feel ready, go for the direct access course. Book up a weekend intensive and test on the Monday. A 125cc I recommend rather than going straight to a high powered bike. Not that you don't have a brain or a right hand to control the throttle, but it is better with bikes imo to start small and work up. Arguably my jump from 125cc to a 600cc was a bit of a jump really.
Also, a 125cc doesn't mean slow necessarily. My old 125cc de-restricted was quicker than most hot hatches on the road.

Soldato
First do your CBT and get L plates. Buy a 125cc then ride it for a while. Then when you feel ready, go for the direct access course. Book up a weekend intensive and test on the Monday. A 125cc I recommend rather than going straight to a high powered bike. Not that you don't have a brain or a right hand to control the throttle, but it is better with bikes imo to start small and work up. Arguably my jump from 125cc to a 600cc was a bit of a jump really.
Also, a 125cc doesn't mean slow necessarily. My old 125cc de-restricted was quicker than most hot hatches on the road.
Although everyone says this I personally think its BS tbh, and would have wasted a lot money for me if I had taken peoples advice. At the end of the day you know if you can trust yourself or not, a bike is only as fast as you make it, and any bike will kill you pretty rapidly if you act like a knob.

In the space of 5 days I went from doing the cbt on a 125 on day one to getting on a 800cc 115bhp bike on day five and riding 125miles without dieing, not even a little bit! And I'm still alive now with an even bigger bike!

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd agree with doing an intensive direct access course rather than working up from 125cc seen as you're old enough to get one done. It's the route I went, was a 5 day course, 2 days 125, 2 days 500 then test. Had done my CBT a few weeks earlier. Got a 650 bandit the Monday after the test on Friday, no messing around on smaller bikes.

Associate
Getting straight on a bigger bike wont be a problem at all, thousands of people do direct access each year and they all seem to get on fine! A 125 would only leave you frustrated and itching to burn more money trading it up sooner rather than later.

Your first consideration if you decide on a direct access course is your kit.

Helmet, gloves and boots are essential. Then you need to decide if you want to get:

a) 1 piece leathers (great protection but more hassle than its worth for road riding)

b) 2 piece leathers (great protection again and easier to live with day to day)

c) Textile jacket and trousers (good protection but also far better wet and cold weather comfort)

d) Leather jacket and draggin jeans (ok protection, easiest of all the above to live with, my preffered option)

Budget around £100-200 for a helmet, £30-60 for gloves, £70 - £150 for boots and £200-£600 for your body clothing.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for all help, much appreciated,

I did, from what I remember it cost me a little over £600, was some time ago now and certainly well before the new test came in. That was for 1st day CBT, 2 days on a 500cc, then the test on 4th day morning.

I did it at http://www.bristolmotorcycletraining.co.uk/ and so did a few others around here, I'd certainly recommend them, I passed first time no problems.

Never knew about them. They seem good. I like the sound of a direct access course. So you keep paying until you pass but average time is approx 4 solid days (9-5?)?

Soldato
Following on from Dureth; that training centre will actually lend you kit, but if your serious its worth you getting your own so your comfortable.

As you've never really ridden it will probably be 2 solid days on 125, 2 solid on 500cc and whatever time you have on the 5th day before your test, the test date is set in stone as they have to officially book it when you book your course.

If you fail you will need to pay for the test again, you will also need to pay for bike hire, and the instructors time to supervise you to the test centre on the day of your retest, which will probably come in at about £250. So expensive if you fail but you'll be surprised how fast you get confident riding solid for those days...my only 2 minors (3 strikes on any one and you fail) were for excessive speed, I wasn't speeding but did have to slow and wait for the examiner a couple of times in the twistier bits.

You normally go out on the road in 2 to 3 hour stints before and after dinner.

Last edited:
Soldato
although it has been says, my 2 cents would be do your cbt then your A2 licence, your restricted to 33bhp but its easier than DAS and cheaper to do, get a 600/400 restrict it and then when your two years is up you will already be well used to the bike and ready to unleash the rest of its horsies.

skip the whole 125cc bike thing its not worth bothering with they are slow as and you will grow out of them almost instantly.

Soldato
Just out of curiosity but how is the A2 test 'easier', it's the same test but on a 125?

From what I've read with the new Module 1/2 setup the A2 has one particular tricky bit in getting up to speed for the swerve, on a pathetically underpowered 125 that apparently requires thrashing the bike, hardly ideal for a newbie...

I guess you could argue that the lighter 125 is going to be 'easier' to ride, but I don't think that it is really, yes it's a lot lighter but as long as you can handle the weight of the bigger bike at slow speeds then that's a non-issue

Soldato
to be honest im not sure how the new test goes! I did mine in 2007 before the new regs came in, learning on a 125 is much easier, you can practically pick them up and move them around and they are ideal to get used to the 'workings' of a motorbike, I only did the A2 because I was under 21 but learning on a 125 is a pretty gentle introduction into biking.

I had a 125 and on my first run I said to myself "Nah youll not get bored of this"

2 weeks later I wanted it gone!

haha, I was bored of mine before I had even passed my test! that said they are a pretty good way to learn the basics

Associate
Surely this is a no brainer?

Either do your CBT and hack around on a 125 for a couple of months first (remembering to practice what you learnt on the CBT, you haven't passed yet)

or

Do a direct access. You're over 21 so why would you want to do the lesser more limited test?

As long as you have enough confidence in yourself and you don't have incredibly feeble legs then get a proper license. Then you can get yourself a bike of 70-100bhp. I'd say more is excessive for a first bike so 100bhp probably optimal unless you're doing lots of commuting or off road in which case all the variables change.

Back
Top Bottom