Want to get in to VR, what headset?

Soldato
Hi all, I’m looking at getting in to VR. I guess mainly I want to try racing sims, things like half life and what not.

Headsets and what not seem to be a minefield and I have no idea what to go for. What would you recommend? I guess ideally looking for hood frames and res. Budget around £500~.

Thanks

Soldato
OP
Bit of a hard call, with VR headsets jumping up with new arrivals over the coming months. Right now with the PC you have if you want the best visuals in those racing games, you opt in with either a G2 or a Pico 3 link, which both sit within budget. It's easy to recommend both those if you ignore what the near or medium term future might bring. Personally i favour the Pico over the G2, because of the performance ratio with a 3090. The Pico plays nice with frame rates with the visuals up high, the G2 struggles in DR 2.0/ACC or dips under at times in a maxed out sol AC/AMS2 or Pcars2. If you plan on getting a 4090 though, 100% the G2, it'll eat both ACC and DR 2.0 (finally)

Worth saying though that both of those headsets are current/old tech. Though there are valid reasons to still buy them, you aren't getting the newer technologies and form factors available in the likes of the recently announced Pico Neo 4.
Hi mate, thank you for the reply. I will be getting a 4090 so I will have a Google for that. With headsets coming out in the not too distant future would you say it would be worthwhile waiting? If so other than the pick 4 what should I keep my eye out for? Can be a little bit more than my budget if it’s worth it.
Thanks again.

Soldato
OP
If you intend to mainly use racing sims then the pico neo 4 (systemactive are taking pre orders, i'm not sure when they will be shipped but wouldn't imagine it would be too long), or the hp reverb G2. if you intend to play some games where you move around a bit like HL2VR/Half Life : Alyx etc then consider a Meta Quest 2 as it does wireless very well (assuming your network setup meets certain requirements). The Pico 4 can do wireless too, the G2 can't. All 3 are great options imo.
Thanks mate, I'll wait for a moment and take a look at these when them come out I think.

Soldato
OP
do you want wireless connection or not bothered?

will you be exploring other options other than sim racing ?

do you want it portable to take on holiday/friends with you ?
Honestly mate I didn't even think about that, I think wireless would be pretty epic. I would defo be doing more than sim racing and I'm not too fussed about taking it places, happy to have it at home.

Back
Top Bottom