War Dust (64 player VR Battlefield)

Associate
ok, I love my VRFPS’s but there’s been a big a big hole in the games I’ve played, other than BAM which is sadly dead, there’s not been a large scale war game with vehicles (a comparison to Battlefield is in unavoidable) enter ‘War Dust’, I bought it knowing the history of the developers ‘Raptor Lab’ they release VR games in early access and don’t finish them, this is there FORTH VR game.. but its on sale for 40% off and it’s only £11, so I took the plunge, and I’m glad I did!!! It’s like Battlefield 2 in VR! It really is, I can’t quite believe how good it is, graphically it’s not great, but it’s good enough, but the gameplay is bang on! It appears to be an asset flip from there previous game ‘Stand Out’ and they have copied Battlefield as much as possible from map design to spawn, even the HUD resembles a BF game.
But I don’t care, this is excellent!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/957790/WAR_DUST__32_vs_32_Battles/

Just a heads up, there is another VR Battlefield like game coming soon too ‘WarzoneVR’ so it’s going be intresting too see which comes out on top, and more importantly, where the player count goes..

Soldato
Picked it up earlier. Only played for maybe 15 mins.
Seems decent enough, although I still haven't figured out how to climb ladders and don't know what to do with med packs when playing support :o

Tbh, I always sucked at Battlefield and the situation doesn't seem too different here so far :D
Gonna see how it goes within the first couple of hours and then decide on the refund situation. What with Onward/Pavlov/Zero Caliber etc, I dunno if I need another shooter at the moment.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Ladders do seem a little broken, on the 1st day of the early access I killed myself a few times. It’s a little better now but it’s still awkward. It’s certainly not as polished as Onward, Pavlov and Zero Caliber demo is rather impressive, but right now I’m enjoying War Dust more than any other shooter. Each to there own, there’s some fantastic looking shooters on the horizon too such as Warzone and Contractors

Soldato
I had more couple more games last night and I started liking it more once I got a bunch of kills under my belt :D Glad I printed that VR gun stock the other day!
The ladder thing needs you to use the Y and B buttons to climb up them like you use the triggers to climb in Zero Caliber, which is wierd... Never made it up, as I got killed halfway up every time.

There was a glitch that kept happening where I'd join a server or faction and it'd kind of go into a loading/spawn loop. I'd spawn into a map with no weapon, it'd go back to the loading screen and then I'd be out at sea at a great height looking at the map.

When it works, it's fun, if a bit long winded to get to places on certain maps. At least it's well populated for now at least.

Soldato
Ok, I'm sold :D Been having some really good games on this over the last couple of nights.
It has a few quirks and the graphics are nothing special, but it's fun once you get into it and start getting kills.

@DONOHUE07
Feel free to give me a shout if you want to squad up in this or Pavlov etc.

Associate
OP
Ok, I'm sold :D Been having some really good games on this over the last couple of nights.
It has a few quirks and the graphics are nothing special, but it's fun once you get into it and start getting kills.

@DONOHUE07
Feel free to give me a shout if you want to squad up in this or Pavlov etc.
Will do! I’m waiting for my new 1070ti to come back, I got it RMA’d, as soon as I get it back I’ll be jumping back into War Dust.

I work Shifts and my only real game time is every other week mon-fri after 10pm. Not the most sociable for gaming I’m afraid

Soldato
Upgraded my printed stock to one of these today.
Still gotta settle into it and get used to doing things differently, but it's very nice.

Expect some gameplay videos when I get it dialled in :)

iopjpohbily.jpg

Just got this today

Watched a few videos and supposed to be great fun and updates seem pretty good so far.

It's very fun, especially when you squad up with mates or at least end up in a cooperative squad of randoms that communicate.
Add me on Steam if you want: Petey Spangles

Associate
OP
Still gotta settle into it and get used to doing things differently, but it's very nice.

iopjpohbily.jpg

It's very fun, especially when you squad up with mates or at least end up in a cooperative squad of randoms that communicate.
How is the stock? I’ve never used one but I like the idea, I’m just curious in how the reloading, grenade throwing and switching to a pistol works.
I love using the pistols in Pavlov, they just feel cool to use and I imagine it being awkward to switch compared to free hand without the stock.
Is sniping in War Dust easier? I’m terrible, i can’t control the shaking of the rifle.
My 1070ti is back and I’ll be playing more War Dust next week, if I’m not doing any overtime at work that is.

Soldato
It's great! The 3D printed stock I was using previously was already a big improvement over just holding my arms up, but this has taken it to another level.
The advantages of not using one is being a little quicker on the draw, slightly better reload speed and being able to access and use stuff like grenades more quickly.

IMO, all of that is massively outweighed by the advantage you get in being able to quickly acquire targets and hit those further away due to being able to hold it steady without having to align your hands.
Reloading is easy once you get a bit of muscle memory going. This one has magnetic cups that pop on and off, so you can do stuff like change mags and switch to a sidearm quickly.

I don't really snipe in WD, but I have tried it. Yes, it's definitely easier by a huge margin.
I wouldn't be without a gunstock, mate. Knowing how much of a VR FPS nut you are, you really should look into it :)

I'll post up some vids soon, as I've figured out how to record from the right eye. I just need to get one where I have a good game AND there isn't lots of swearing :D
Definitely give me a shout next week and we'll get some squad action going.

This review might help

Soldato

iopjpohbily.jpg

looks like it will give the same type of experience as the psvr aim controller which i find great for shooters

Soldato
I guess it's kind of similar. This differs in that it gives the feel of having a full sized rifle against your shoulder, with adjustability to suit any virtual firearm + the ability to quickly remove and replace a hand or two for reloading and weapon switching.

Here's a little War Dust compilation from yesterday. Sadly, I couldn't include most of the more awesome stuff due to lots of swearing and noise from random squadmates - especially an idiot Mexican guy who made a sweet 32-5 run unusable :mad:

Associate
I guess it's kind of similar. This differs in that it gives the feel of having a full sized rifle against your shoulder, with adjustability to suit any virtual firearm + the ability to quickly remove and replace a hand or two for reloading and weapon switching.

Here's a little War Dust compilation from yesterday. Sadly, I couldn't include most of the more awesome stuff due to lots of swearing and noise from random squadmates - especially an idiot Mexican guy who made a sweet 32-5 run unusable :mad:

what locomotion and movement controls do you use??
just started and feels a bit odd moving around atm

great game tho

Back
Top Bottom