Warhammer 40k book recommendations

Just finished the latest HH book Age of Darkness. I'm not normally one for short stories but I enjoyed the majority of this one except the Little Horus story by Dan Abnett which utterly surprised me as he's my fav 40k author.

Just started the first Space Wolves omnibus by William King and so far so good.

Titanicus is an awesome one-off book and I highly recommend it.

I also agree with Legion - brilliant book and one of the best in the HH series. Wasn't overly impressed with the Dark Angels books and Prospero Burns really wasn't upto scratch for me and I would list them as the weakest books so far in the series.

Hoping for a book on the Khan & The White Scars in the HH series or as someone else mentioned an Imperial Fists story.

The entire Gaunts Ghosts books are Sharpe rip-offs but I still really enjoy them and looking forward to the new one in October.

I found they started tapering off from the one where they went on the assassination mission to Gereon I think it is (can't remember the title) it just turned into cheap thrills with one "shock" death a novel.

The last one (Blood Pact?) was horrendous. I could barely riddle up the desire to finish it, though I will keep reading for the first 6 or so books which (IMO) were fantastic! Real page turners! Especially Necropolis.

Traitor General is one of the best as is Necropolis.

Blood Pact wasn't the best of Abnetts GG series by a long shot and I think it showed that he'd been away from the series for too long albiet he was writing some of the HH books so I won't hold him in contempt too much!

I enjoyed the Ultramarines books and just got the last one (The Chapter's Due) left to read. Again I love Graham McNeils work as he just cannot write a bad book imo.

Just started reading this.

Got Age of Darkness for afters and then I'm taking a break from 40K to read the Game of Thrones book.

Definately worth a read. Strangely I've taken a break from re-reading the Thrones books to read some 40k!

I think Aaron Dembski-Bowden is one to watch out for the near future. Only read The First Heretic and his short story in AoD and they were outstanding. I really must buy the Space Marine Battle book Helsreach as it's had nothing but excellent reviews.

The Ultramarines series was McNeils first work iirc. He's gotten a lot better since then. I thought Fulgrim was excellent. Not read First Heretic yet. Last one I got was Prospero Burns.

Last edited:
Definately worth a read. Strangely I've taken a break from re-reading the Thrones books to read some 40k!

I think Aaron Dembski-Bowden is one to watch out for the near future. Only read The First Heretic and his short story in AoD and they were outstanding. I really must buy the Space Marine Battle book Helsreach as it's had nothing but excellent reviews.

Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver (Night Lord books) are fantastic, Ive read Soul Hunter 4 times now.

Has the HH series progressed as far as the final battle in the imperial palace? and if so which book/s deals with it.

Nowhere near yet mate.

They've basically got to the point of Horus being in open rebellion and now openly moving against the Imperium. Took 14 (or thereabouts) books to get go this point. I can imagine there being that many more before they reach the siege of Terra and endgame of the war.

Really impressed by the series so far, it's not highbrow scifi but it's action packed and interesting light read.

so far the books that you guys seem to recommend reading that i like the sound of besides HH are:

Eisenhorn *Read before Ravenor*
Ravenor
Gaunts Ghost
Titanicus
The Ultramarines Ominibus
Space Wolf Ominubus
Blood Angels omnibuses
Soul Hunter
Battle of the Fang

So i think thats basically it, have i listed any real stinkers in there, or is there a book or series that i must add to that list?
For me thats got to be like 4 years worth of reading there as i only read when im on a morning shift as i go bed early and read for an hour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom