Warhammer 40k book recommendations

Ok, I am now halfway through the first chapter of the first book in the Ciaphas Cain series and I can already tell that this is going to be an amazing book. Equally as well written as the Gaunt series, the tone and characterisation is perfect. I always know have a good book in my hands if I haven't even reached the end of the first chapter and I already feel like this. :)

20131125_125301.jpg

Just got this. Shame im only at prospero burns or I would get this open now.

Speaking of prospero burns I wasnt looking forward to it at all never being a wolves fan but its great so far.

Been a while since I've commented in this thread!

I'm still collecting the HH series, which includes all novels in small paperback format, and all the limited edition novels. I've got every one so far, even though a couple (The Imperial Truth for example) have cost be a fair bit on auction sites.

The last one I read was Scars, which I thought was a bit slow but better in the second half.

BL have also reduced the release times between formats quite drastically since the absolute farsicle of the multi format release a few years back.

I might pick the series up again when it actually goes somewhere but it's just a cash cow I have no interest in right now. I stopped at Angelus Exterminatus and haven't even looked to see what has came out since.

I thought Vulkan Lives was a really really dark novel. It was like 400 pages of grim and suffering.
I said to a friend that is there was one HH novel which could be awarded an 18cert, it'd be that one :p

The Unremembered Empire was a fantastic book, really worth a read.

I read it but I didn't find it particularly memorable (arf arf). Betrayer was good as well I thought, interesting perspective and info about the 'butchers nails' and their effect and also how the legion copes with their damaged primarch.

Actually yeah now thinking about it, it does bring together a lot of threads from the previous books so worth a read but because of that the pacing is a bit odd at times.

Last edited:
I'm still enjoying it but it's really hard to keep track of what is happening. Basically given up on all the novellas but even then it's hard to remember what is the main series. I think Vengeful Spirit (or the one after it) was the last one I read.

Question from someone who read a bunch of Horus Heresy books a few years ago. I know the first five or six books pretty much were one continuous telling of the HH (I remember there was a shift of perspective characters a few times but still was pretty much the heresy in a linear tale) but reading a few synopsis of later books they seem to start skipping around fairly randomly. Can I just start picking and choosing the ones I like the sound of as stand alones are am I going to need all of them?

To be fair I don't think you lose much after the first six, I'm more critical than most in here but I stopped reading as for 20 books the story has barely progressed a jot and they are just slamming people for money which is why I hate GW in general.

First six are must read after that be selective because most are ******* ****.

Talking of ******* **** the last ever Gaunts Ghosts novel comes out this month. From such an epic series it has been scrabbling round in the dirt since Traitor General and I have no doubt this will be a limp offering to finish it off. I will buy it day one with hope in my heart, but then have extreme cynicism in mind.

Back
Top Bottom