• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Warranty on B grade GPU

Associate
I bought a B grade refurbished Gigabyte 1080ti directly from overclockers UK on 29th September 2018 and it seems to have unfortunately died today. I've read online a 3 year warranty is a standard for graphics cards and wondered if this applies to mine. I cannot see a way to ask a support reference without phoning in right now but I dont think customer service is available atm to call.

Thanks for any help!

Associate
Ah so the 3 years would be effective at the beginning of its life? How can they verify how old the card was at refurbishing?

Best thing to do is contact Gigabytes RMA service using the invoice you got from OCUK.

Maybe you're in luck and it was only a couple of weeks old..

Man of Honour
Ah so the 3 years would be effective at the beginning of its life? How can they verify how old the card was at refurbishing?
I not 100% sure but it would be when it was first sold , im guessing you did not you register the warranty with Gigabyte.

You could try returning it to Gigabyte you will soon get an answer.

Soldato
B grade items are sometimes customer returns. Somebody could have bought it in July 2018, registered the warranty and then returned it. So that original 3 years could be up now anyway.

It would be worth contacting Gigabyte and explaining the situation. They might help you out. You've got nothing to loose.

Last edited:
Associate
The fact B grade are sold with such poor warranties always puts me off, like they have no confidence in the product, that said, hopefully GB will save you!

Caporegime
The fact B grade are sold with such poor warranties always puts me off, like they have no confidence in the product, that said, hopefully GB will save you!
Most B-Grade items can be registered with the manufacturer as normal and gain the warranty through them. The 90 days applies only through OCUK after purchase.

Associate
OP
At the time it was £500 when I think I was seeing £650-£700 for new, and since it was factory refurbished I thought it was worth it. If the GPU shortage didnt kick in I might not even have noticed it die since I've been trying to get a 3080.

Soldato
Most B-Grade items can be registered with the manufacturer as normal and gain the warranty through them. The 90 days applies only through OCUK after purchase.

This.

I've had a B Grade monitor which had with the full 3 year manufacturer warranty when I registered it, and a laptop with 18 months remaining of 2 years.

It can be bit more of a pain having to deal with the manufacturer directly rather than retailer, but I guess whether it's worth it depends how much you're saving

Soldato
This.

I've had a B Grade monitor which had with the full 3 year manufacturer warranty when I registered it, and a laptop with 18 months remaining of 2 years.

It can be bit more of a pain having to deal with the manufacturer directly rather than retailer, but I guess whether it's worth it depends how much you're saving
Don't you generally have to upload a copy of the purchase receipt though which will show it's a B-grade?

Soldato
Don't you generally have to upload a copy of the purchase receipt though which will show it's a B-grade?

Didn't make a difference in my cases, although obviously it may depend on the manufacturer. In the case of the laptop, the warranty has been verified by actually speaking to someone at Asus, and the monitor has already had a warranty "repair" (basically a firmware upgrade, why it couldn't be done via USB I don't know, but that's another matter :p)

Back
Top Bottom