Washer fluid stinks in hot weather

Associate
Hi,
I have a strange issue with my little Hyundai runabout.

Everytime we get hot weather, the washer fluid starts to smell really bad. Like you can smell it inside the car when you spray it. Smell like gone off milk mixed with sick!
I assume there's some kind of bacterial problem in the tubes or reservoir. I'm pretty sure last year I tried spraying some Dettol in there and ran the whole reservoir out, and I think it's helped a bit, but it still stinks now it's hot again.

Anyone any idea's how to fix it? Is there a product specifically for this? I assume running diluted bleach though it is going to be a really bad idea?
Is it caused by me re-using an old washer bottle when I top up the washer fluid with water?

Thanks for any helpful suggestions.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Most of those screen washes are 'ready to use' i.e. pre-diluted..

The likely hood is you are watering it down below any ability to be biostatic, never mind biocidal..

Good spot!, but I would deffo check for leaks under the washer jets, it's been known for there to be leaks which get in to the ventilation system, i.e. it finds its way to the pollen filter and then stinks the place out..
The reason you might notice it when you use the jets is simply that the damp filter / water droplets let the smell carry further

Tesla Model 3s had issues with rain water getting in to the ventilation system, dripping on to the pollen filter and smelling very mouldy...
Cheers, I'll check for any drips under the bonnet when spraying.
I'll fill it with some neat high glycol washer fluid and run that through and see how I get on.

I've always watered washer fluid down. No point in having -10c protection in summer. I do the same on the other car and it has never had this problem.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Been some good suggestions in the thread OP.

I had this before on a Rover 214, I cannot remember how I resolved it, but it was more involved than I expected. It's not the sort of thing thats a quick fix, has to be done properly.

Mine smelled of vomit that had been heated nicely!
Yeah that's what mine smells like! Through winter there's no smell, it's just when it gets hot.
I feel it's more the fluid than the pipes themselves.. If I squirt it all out, then replace it, the next lot doesn't smell until the cars been sat in the sun a good few weeks.

I'm gonna try neat high glycol stuff 1st and see what happens.
The car wasn't new, so perhaps this was caused by previous owner only using water or something. Like I say, I'm filling it the same way I've done all my previous cars and my other car and none of those ever had anything like this. Looking at halfords, some of the stuff says fine to dilute 5:1.... I tend to do something like 3:1 on concentrates.

I might use a clean jug to top the water up rather than the old empty fluid bottle in the garage.. perhaps filling that with just water and leaving it is causing some bacterial growth.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It's not messing around, it's following the instructions on the product. Buying concentrate means you have less big bulky bottles to buy. Premix is for people who live in flats who don't have easy water supply near the car, and is rubbish in the amount of plastic packaging required for the amount of washer fluid you get.

It's also much better value than premix, where you'd paying for mostly water at 100x the price it comes out your tap.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom