Washing machine or washer dryer?

Caporegime
Need a new washing machine imminently as hopefully moving to first house without one.

I've been considering a washer dryer combo for winter.
Here winters are always wet so drying would otherwise be on a rack. And the ability to wash and dry in same cycle seems really useful when you're working. Also, sometimes I forget to take wet washing out and have to rewash

So cons I've heard
-Not as effective/efficient as separate (but won't be getting separate)
-More points of failure
-more expensive

In flat have now (won't have much longer) it's been a nightmare trying to dry stuff in the winter, hence the question

Any views would be appreciated.

Caporegime
OP
Well, looks like the washers only are 300-400 and washer dryers are 400-500.

That's the price range and similar models

Most of the time will be just a washer. Will rarely use a dryer (winter only)

Caporegime
OP
I've recently had a new Hotpoint washer dryer installed in my rented flat as the old one stopped drying properly. It seems to do just fine at both things, although it seems to trend for modern washing machines is to have insanely long wash cycles, which is annoying in an open-plan kitchen/living area when you really want the whole thing done as quickly (or at least quietly) as possible.

It's got a few different drying options; you can either dry by time, in which case it seems to just use the hottest setting for the time you set. Or it has three settings for iron ready, hang ready and cupboard ready which are a bit gentler but take much longer. It is at least mostly very quiet when drying although the water pump runs every now and again while drying and is intrusively loud. Clothes tend not to come out creased if you use one of the presets, though to help things along I'll remove some of the damp items and run two loads for drying.

If I was buying one for myself I'd try to set a pretty decent budget, and get one with the largest drum I could to facilitate the drying. Occasionally things get clumped together in mine which results in weird damp patches that haven't dried at all.

Can i ask which one you have? Was looking at a hotpoint myself

We have room for both but dryer will be used so infrequently

Back
Top Bottom