Waste water pipe. Correct decline needed?

We have had an issue for years with the bath waste water pipe being so level that the pipe eventually starts to clog up and cause extremely slow water flow.

We got a few quotes for a full bathroom refit, and with the key thing being to fix this issue.

They, like everyone that quotes, opted to just cut the old pipe and block it off due not being able to access it any more (it used to run outside the house but a new conservatory was built over it and block access), so are running the waste pipe directly through the house floor boards to the toilet waste.

The only thing is the decline doesn't look that good, and it has a 90 corner in the middle of it, so if the pipe does clog, I don't think it'd be eays to clear like the last.

If I can get a picture later, would anyone be able to confirm if what I'm seeing is an issue, or perhaps just being paranoid due to previous bad experience?

Did you not specify you wanted the pipes to run differently to the fitters?

Running through the floorboards is the obvious way (I've done the same) - but if you want a bigger drop, they'll need to design the bathroom around that, and where the pipes can exit and run outside.
We didn't discuss exactly where as why would I know that, though I was specified we would stop using the outside pipe, and instead run inside, joining into the toilet.

Unfortunately they have screwed down the new floor boards so I can't see under any more, however the pipe is definitely very complicated now, as the waste pipe that is sticking out the floor ready for the bath, is more central where the bath will sit, while the bath drains at one end so there will be a ubend under the bath, the runs horizontal to the waste pipe that is sticking straight out the floor, which then drops vertically, to turn 90 degree and run horizontally, to curve 90 and then go straight wards the toilet waste.

Like this. The L are where it drops vertically, and the ) is where it stays horizontal but turns 90 degree, and the P is where it joins toilet waste

Bath
!_______!
L---
L- - - - - -
___)
P

I guess I need to speak with him tomorrow but I am sure he will sya it is fine like this. So what I have left to go on after that. Until it clogs in a year and is an issue, what can I say now to ensure it is safe?

So they have finished the work and now our pressure is rubbish.

When we first bought the house the shower had a pump. We had a plumber change all our heating, move our boiler, and change to mains fed unvented system, doing away with the pump for some aqualisa system that had a mixer in the loft, and it opened and closed the valve depending on how much heat you needed, and then single pipe went all the way to the shower. It had a boost ability, which simply opened the valves more to let more flow through, but it wasn't needed, the pressure was great and no stupid noisey pump.

The workers didn't connect to this single pipe as we changed to another unit under their advice, they instead connected to the water pipes the fed the bath. The trouble is now we jsut have such bad pressure but I don't get why.

It's still mains pressure, but a good example is we have one of those ceiling rain showers, and if the head is angled slightly, the top edge struggles to get water but there's not enough pressure.

Any thoughts? We have only paid half so far, but want this sorted. Is this a them issue or us issue? I feel like they should have checked the pressure during install to see it's coming out good.

Back
Top Bottom