Water cooling, setup advice.

Associate
Yesterday I ordered my new system. Parts to be watercooled are a Q6600 and a 8800 GTX (I am using Nvidia :eek:).

The setup I am thinking is as follows:
Swiftech MCP655 Pump
D-Tek FuZion
D-Tek FuZion Accelerator Nozzle Kit (£3.29 is it worth it? As reviews seem varied)
EK FC8800 8800GTX Acetal Top
ThermoChill PA120.3 Triple Radiator
EK Multioption RES 250 Rev.2 (or get the 150?)
All tubing and barbs will be 1/2".

Is the above setup going to be sufficient to overclock both cpu and gpu? If not should I get two 120.2s?

Also the other thing I am not sure about is it best to build the loop outside of the case test for leaks and then attach to hardware? If so just leave the loop on the desk and leave the pc on 24hrs with molex connected to the pump?

Also read on some forums people leave their watercooling of 24/7 so they don't get air in the system. I take it this isn't necessary as I can't leave mine on 24/7.

Thanks for your help guys.

Associate
OP
Had a look at the DDC and doesn' t move more water per hour on max setting so why is it better?

Is it agreed best to set the water cooling up in place? But how can I run the pump without having the pc on in this case?

Associate
OP
Swiftech MCP655 Pump
ThermoChill PA120.3 Triple Radiator
3/8 ThermoChill 1/2 Barb x 2
Heavy Duty Hose Cutters
EK FC8800 8800GTX Full Cover GPU Waterblock - Acetal Top
D-Tek FuZion Accelerator Nozzle Kit
Water Wetter 20ml
EK Multioption RES 250 Rev.2
D-Tek FuZion Universal CPU Waterblock
Zinc Plated Worm Drive Hose Clip for 1/2 Tubing
Specialtech 1/2 Hi-Flex Tubing
Xilence Red Wing 120mm Quiet Fan
Zalman ZM-MFC1 Plus Fan Controller - Black
Arctic Silver Ceramique 2.5g Tube
Arctic Silver 5 3.5g
Akasa TIM Cleaning Solution
Aquacomputer ATX PSU Tester

That is everything ordered now :D:D I have read that ceramique should be used on memory on GPU, but some people have said to mix with artic silver? Is that worth doing?

I will post some pics once all built. Should be fun. Still not sure where to place radiator though, will either be on back of case of top of the case, but inside. I am guessing mounting it on the back of the case will be best for getting rid of heat.

Associate
OP
Arctic Silver is the company that makes both Ceramique and AS-5. You are recommended to use Ceramique on the GPU rather than AS-5 because AS-5 is electrically conductive and it may damage the GPU with certain kinds of blocks. Ceramique isn't electrically conductive so it's much safer. Don't mix the two as that will give you the worst of both worlds - poorer cooling with ceramique and electrical conductivity with AS-5.

What I read was to use AS-5 on the gpu chip but ceramique on the mem chips? Is that not right?
I have applied thermal compound on previous gpus/cpus, etc but I am never sure on the right amount. Is it literally the thinnest even layer I can manage?

Back
Top Bottom