Water Cooling Temps

Associate
Hello ,

Its my first post on the community. I lately installed a custom water loop (soft tube) on my system.

CPU : Ryzen 7 3700 X

GPU : Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC

M/B : Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite

RAM : 2 x 8GB DDR4 Patriot 3733Mhz (@XMP 3733 - 16/19/19/38/56 )

PSU : Corsair TX 850-M

HARD DISKS : Samsung 240gb 970 evo plus M.2 / Samsung 512gb SM961 M.2 / WD SCorpio 320 GB / WD BLUE 1TB

CASE : Deepcool Matrexx 55

I had relativelly high temperatures especially in the GPU. I had tried many times to repaste the card and put new thermal pads and tighten the screws and everything with a bit better temps ( from 110 C hotspot to -> 90~95 C). I then installed an Arctic Accellero Xtreme IV and had very good temps on the GPU-HOTSPOT(around ~ 60 C gpu / ~ 85 C hotspot) but very high VRAM temperatures ( > 95-100C) even after installing back plate and small copper heatsinks with thermal adhesive glue. After many tries with thermal tape on the small heatsinks (on VRAMs and Mosfeets and VRM capacitors) the temperatures had fallen a bit to around 90-95C VRAM but not stable with a 120mm fan also straight pussing air on the arctic backplate. All this temps were under load in games and in Furmark After GPU stress test 10-20 minutes... With the CPU I didnt have problems because I had installed an Arctic Freezer Esports 2 duo and had very good temps(as on the reviews) with relativelly low noise).

Anyway , long story short , I decided to installed my first Custom Water loop for CPU & GPU and went with soft tubing (easier for first try etc etc).

CPU BLOCK : Freezemod AM4 -> https://www.banggood.com/Red-Copper...p-1401576.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

GPU BLOCK : Custom for Gigabyte rx5700 xt gaming oc -> https://hybridcooling-modding.fr/gpu/200-waterblock-rx-5700-xt-gaming-oc-8g.html

Radiator : Bykski 360mm (I think its slimmer than normal) -> https://www.banggood.com/BYKSKI-B-R...p-1591744.html?rmmds=myorder&cur_warehouse=CN

Pump : Tank+Pump Combo -> https://freezemod.com/product/freez...-control-or-aura-synchronizationpub-fs6pd-17/

Bykski fittings + soft tubes / Radiator is in Push Pool mode with fans on both sides (Enermax & Arctic fans etc)

After many tries and problems occured I finally managed to install the GPU Block and everything but had high VRAM temperature again (> 100 C after furmark 10-20 minutes) even though the GPU Block had an area that covered the VRAMs also ( with thermal pads ).... So I installed the Back Blate from Arctic Accellero xtreme IV also with thermal pads and also a 120mm fan on top to cool the VRAM and finally after many many tries and modifications I have reached an acceptable (for me at least ..) setup of everything.

I want to post the temperatures now that I have in my system with the custom loop and if anyone with more experience can tell me if the temps are OK now or any other suggestion about my system because it is the first time for me and of course I probably had done a mistake or two ( some were fixed during the proccess...)

So now After 30 minutes of stress test on both GPU & CPU (Furmark on Gpu STRESS test @ 1440 + Prime 95 at smallest FFP) I saw temperatures :

GPU : around 50 C mostly max 53 C

GPU Hotspot : around 70 mostly max 75 C

VRAM : around 80 mostly max 84 C

VRM : around 80 mostly max 81 C

CPU : around 67-68 mostly max 70 C

This temperatures are also the same when playing games (not constantlly) with very small variatons (2-3 C on the gpu hotspot and 2-3 C on the cpu). Vram & VRM is much much lower ( due to the lowest memory controller load of course ) when playing games VRAM sits at around 70 C and VRM also sits at around 70 C after 2-3 hours of gameplay (Horizon zero dawn - Doom Eternal - PUBG etc etc) with very small variatons +- 3-4 C.

Are these temperatures OK considering everything ???

*the temps are with the pump contant working @ 100 % (~3500 rmp) because if I lower @ 70% or less GPU HOTSPOT rises up to 80-85 C and CPU temp also rises 2-3 C at least.*

Is it ok to use the pump at 100 % all the time ???

* as long as the noise is very low (It doesnt bother me at all barelly audible , fans are much more audible @ 50-60% - probably a D5 pump on the part) *

*Thermaltake Cryonaut was used as thermal paste in CPU and GPU but in CPU I didnt put a lot of paste to cover the edges also so I think I can mod this the next time I will service my loop because I know Ryzen tend to have high temps on the edges on the CPU Die and need to cover the hole cpu surface very good with thermal paste...*

*Last thing to inform is tha I use FRTC from Registry in order to Cap frames at 118 since I use a Samsung Qled TV with FREESYNC 1440@120hz and its the only way as long as I have tested to effectivelly cap my fps lower than the screens higher freequency for Freesync to work properly*

So many games are running @ 118 fps capped at times like PUBG and DOOM and not using 100% of GPU all the time and others like HORIZON @ 65-75 fps constantly using 100% of GPU.

The card is running on 2050 mhz Core / 1750 memory / 1068mV voltage - (without issues from the undervolt have tested the card for hours for errors bsods etc)

TimeSpy Results : ~ 9950 Points

Horizon Benchmark@1440 ultra settings & freesync : 69 - 70 Fps

Sorry for the long post. I wanted to include everything ...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tVXEWg7yNVS0wU221q-du3z2-uEQ42iW/view?usp=sharing

thank you for taking the time to read the whole post and answer ...

You are right about the thickness.. The Gpu block came with pads for VRAMS , mosfeets and VRMs but when i installed them the first time the GPU Block wasnt tight enough as much as I tigheted the screws even all the way and thermals were even worse. Only when I installed the pads from Arctic that came with the Accellero Xtreme IV that were a little less thick I managed to have this temperatures.. But I had removed so many times the GPU Block that now I am afraid that I will do damage or get even worse temps.. So you are suggesting I would buy new pads from Thermaltake and install them again to see if I have lower VRAM temperatures ? But how about the VRMs ? The vrm temp shouldnt be so high also...

The problem with the VRAMs is that at an earlier stage, before the water , I had glued Copper heatsinks and when I removed them very carefully some glue couldnt be removed completelly from the thermal glue(or thermal adhesive tape because I had tried many things..) and I had leftovers on the memory chips... I tried to clean them as much as I could with alcohol and earpads and twizzers and everything but there where still left overs an corners(small 0.5 - 1 mm left over)... I dont know if that has to do with the thermals or not ... Another thing is that the GPU block has a lot of distance from to reach the Memory chips so it had inside very thick thermal pads... So you think its not acceptable as I am now with 1 radiator (40mm thickness I think..) that I have around 70 memory temperature when gaming even for hours (same as gpu hotspot..) and around 68-70 VRM temperatures ???? (I think VRM temp is a bit high because the VRMs get "closed" by the GPU BLOCK as I mount it and there isnt good airflow to cool them down ... because with the aircoolers on the card before I didnt have problem with VRM temperatures..)

And yes you are right about the radiator too that I need to add another one...

You are absolutelly right... The same I thought when I received the GPU block but the problem was tha I have the Gigabyte Rx 5700 xt gaming OC version of the card and I couldnt find anywhere a compatible GPU Block .. so I risked it with this custom one... If I had the reference design evertyhing would be easier... You are with 1 radiator also for GPU and CPU ? Yes I am blasting air through it with 3 fans in front push and 2 fans pull at 50-60% all the time with front panel open... its not that loud really ... Have you undervolted the card to have that temps or its on default settings ??

I would definitely recommend going with a second rad, and perhaps slightly thicker ones too. Also the push and pull config doesn't make much of a difference. You'd be better off taking 3 fans off and putting them on a second rad. That should certainly help get the temps down more :)

So a 280 thicker radiator to add on the upper part of the case and connect it between gpu and cpu ??? Would that make a difference for gpu also ? Or only Cpu that would get cooler water ??

thank you very much for your time and help... I will probably add another radiator as soon as I can (280 >= 40mm thickness) in order to drop down the temperatures and the noise...

for now with some settings the temperatures after 30 min Furmark ( which I think is the most power hog benchmark I can run... and its not realistic about what the temps will be in games etc but anyway)

GPU edge : max 52 C
GPU hotspot : max 74 C
VRAM Memory hotspot : max 82 C
VRM temp : max 77 C

*cpu when running furmark hoovers around 40-55 C with ups and downs mostly in the low 40s*

After 2 hours Prime 95 with smallest FFPs only for CPU stress :

CPU max : 67.5 C

*CPU is running with PBO Auto and performance is much better than stock 3700x (99% on userbenchmark.com) and AUTO vcore from Motherboard*

Aside Tjunction Temperature for GPU I have read many problems with GDDR6 temperatures on RX 5700 XTs on google rising even over 105 C on factory cards and even when installing aftermarket coollers .. so I dont know I suppose I am happy right now with max 82 stabilized on furmark ( I was on 106 C and rising with accellero xtreme IV even with copper heatsinks at a time !!!) ... Gaming @ 70-72 max VRAM is not that bad I think .. Probably only the thicker pads is my only option now as you correctly suggested.

Thanks again for the many replies...

Back
Top Bottom