Watercooling Build - Overclock ???

Associate
Hi Guys/Gals,

I've been seriously ill the past 6 weeks, struggled to leave bed and stand up for more than 2 mins for the first month, started to feel a bit better the last week or so and was able to stand up again.

This has taken about a week off and on doing what I can in 30 minute bouts. This is something I've always wanted to do and it kept me going. I've been recovering well in the last week and hope to get back to work soon.

Anyways this has been something I've always wanted to do any I'm really proud I managed to get it all working but wanted advice on what more I can do.

I've tested temperatures on Prime95 for an hour or so and maxxed out at 65 Degrees CPU.

I've ran a game 100% for about and hour or so and maxxed out at 72 Degrees GPU.

My friend says to change the bottoms fans around to push air up to help the radiator cool, I only pointed them down because the leds looks better.

Will this make a big difference ? I played with overclocking last year when I first got my GPU but only got a few frames extra, didn't seem worth it.

What would you advise, is it worth playing about with my setup and overclocking to gain more FPS or is it more hassle than it's worth ???

Thanks,

Kev

3VI6Fuz.jpg

ONJBdhj.jpg

V5zC2j9.jpg

EBMr4TG.jpg

0dWnBJq.jpg

tzZbHGM.jpg

PS : I know the CPU tubing bends aren't the best, I didn't have it in me to fix them. Will sort them out later when i'm feeling better.

Spec...

MAIN :

AMD 3900
EVGA XC3 3080 (Original)
64GB Corsair 3600Mhz
ASUS X570 F-Gaming
850W SuperFlower PSU
10x LL120 Corsair
2x Commader Pro
2x Led Hubs

WATERCOOLING:

Li Lian Dynamic XL Case
EK Quantum Reflector Res - D5 pump
Top Rad - Ek Coolstream PE 360
Bottom Rad - Black Ice Nemesis 360GTS
EK AM4 Velocity CPU Block
EK XC3 Vector GPU Block
EK XC3 Vector - Passive Blackplate
16mm Acrilic Tubing and EK Quantum Fittings

Last edited:
Soldato
It probably won't make a huge difference, but if it were me I'd setup your bottom fans as intake, tops fans as exhaust.

Not only have you got one way air flow, but also working with the law of physics (heat rising).

Assuming that rear fan is exhaust?

Only thing about that case if you will have negative pressure, so more exhaust fans than intake, which can encourage dust to enter any gaps.

Again this is all marginal, you can try it test the differences, I'd say the difference in ambient temperature of your room would far outweigh any difference in fan setup, but you could play around and see what works.

Edit:

Also with overclocking, the GPU I literally wouldn't bother, the faff for performance is not worth it.

CPU, yes, I'm not 100% familiar with a 3900, but I'd probably leave it on stock and assuming it has a PBO feature? Just set that to one or two above stock (goes in 100 increments?) so PBO +200 and leave it at that.

Basically, for a mild increase in performance only, I don't think there is any harm in pushing your CPU 5% over and just forgetting about it.

Just my opinion, but I don't think overclocking any further is worth it these days, you seem to get little performance gain unless you are prepared to spend a lot of time testing and research, and even then I reckon real term performance gains outside of epeen benchmark scores are negligible.

This is just my personal opinion through reading and personal experience.

Last edited:
Soldato
That looks awesome! You don’t need to do any overclocking to have a fantastic system.

If you do want to overclock, simply turning the power limit for the graphics card as far as it will go using something like MSI Afterburner will give you some gains.

Fan orientation is only going to make marginal differences. If I’d gone to that level of effort for the aesthetics of the system I’d leave the bottom fans as they are. The only reason to change anything would be if your temperatures weren’t great.

Associate
Your system and entire set up looks great, you should be very happy with it.

I would not bother with overclocking, maybe swapping the 3900 for 5800/5900/5950 in the future would be an option , especially with the prices dropping all the time. Your side fans are intake so you are getting air blown in. If you were to change the orientation of 1 fan I would swap the back fan around to be an intake, that kind of change has been shown to reduce temps in your exact situation. If you do not want to spin it then turn that fan down to the absolute min rpm and turn up the side intakes to create more positive pressure.

Your temps are absolutely fine so no real need to mess with the fans. Can be fun to tinker but is also fun to just leave it as it is and play some games.

Soldato
Looks great but with all your fans exhausting the air, where does the cool air come from? You should really have slightly more intakes than exhausts as this produces positive case pressure keeping air from being sucked in through every nook and cranny. With negative case pressure (as you have), the outside air has to get in through wherever it can and that can mean avoiding all the fan filters putting dust everywhere and reducing the overall airfow.

Back
Top Bottom