Watercooling pump noise?

Soldato
I want to know what the quietest watercooling pump is. Im cooling one gpu only with an 80mm rad with a 120mm fan via an adapter.

1. What is quietest pump?
2. Opinion of aquaxtreme (noise, performance, height including barb)
3. Opinion of eheim 1250 (noise, performance, height including barb)
4. Also pump vibration (and consequent noise)?

Soldato
i had an alphacool 600 station II pump (before i broke it before it had a chance to cool my pc!) and it was very quiet. it wasn't the best pump ever though with a head of just 1.6m. the laing dcc 12v is good (i just bought one to replace my alphacool) but i haven't got it yet so i dunno how loud it is.

daven

Soldato
megatron said:
3. Opinion of eheim 1250 (noise, performance, height including barb)
4. Also pump vibration (and consequent noise)?

I can't comment on the 1250, but I have the 1048 in my machine and can't fault it at all. It's absolutely silent, even with the pump running when the machine is off, you can't hear it without straining your ears.

I didn't suffer from any vibration issues before, but mounted the pump on a layer of foam just to dampen it a little.

Soldato
OP
I have an eheim 1250 and when reading about the aquaxtreme 50z-dc12 I nearly fell of my seat when people were describing the 1250 as silent.

Im not just being uptight about a little bit of noise. In the past I have put up with more noise than I ought to from my pc. I know this since I dont need a doctor to tell me I have the equivalent of tendonitis in my ear.

I dont blame it on my eheim 1250 it was probably in the largest part due to a my first case I bought the "tornado" a standard case modded with extra 80mm fans by none other than overclockers.co.uk.

It was quite honestly not fit for purpose in its standard guise, but I ran the fans at 5v; but over time my ear has become very sensitive to background noise. This results in a high pitched tone, much like u get after u've listened to some REALLY loud music for too long from a public loudspeaker. The only time it really disappears is when I get away from my PC, but any loud noise can set it off.

I generally use headphones now when near my PC, since even then background hum of my monitor gets my ear going.

So I have my pc in a "cupboard" which is actually a closet off my room, in a P180, so I can leave it running p2p.

I planned to mount my eheim 1250 on some purpose made rubber grommets I bolted to the inside of my case but the pump vibration made this absolutely counter to the reason I bought a new case, the P180.

Currently its suspended via string from my case which is the next best thing to physically holding it. Only problem with that is I cant shut my case side. Ive run the pump for a couple of years on neoprene and recently plumped up a pillow and the vibrations are turned into noise even resting on that, so Im a bit weary of "space age" material fixing it.

Thats why I was asking about different pumps.

If what Ive heard from a few people is true, that the eheim 1250 is silent then I must have an out of balance drive shaft.

The only option of closing the case panel if I run a pump with similar dimentions to the 1250 (11cm tall including barb) is to buy a 90' barb to join pump output to gpu wb input.

Last edited:
Soldato
as i mentioned elsewhere mate, the 1250 is near as damnit silent... theyre pond pumps / aquarium pumps .... and how often does a fishtank / pond sound like a hoover :p

id take it to bits and re-assemble it... otherwise, a laing DDC seems the best option for yourself... quietest performance pump available... or if you just want quiet, id get an eheim 1048 ;)

Soldato
OP
jellybeard999 said:
as i mentioned elsewhere mate, the 1250 is near as damnit silent... theyre pond pumps / aquarium pumps .... and how often does a fishtank / pond sound like a hoover :p

id take it to bits and re-assemble it... otherwise, a laing DDC seems the best option for yourself... quietest performance pump available... or if you just want quiet, id get an eheim 1048 ;)
Ive had it apart many times. TBH aquarium pumps maybe silent when submerged in a tank of water, but add vibration to noise generated by the pump when suspended in mid air and its anything but silent.

So the aquaxtreme is not the answer to my problems? I have heard its rather large which isnt that good either. I would like an adjustable pump, like the liang D5, and running off 12v is a bonus (means no more case modding).

Really wanted an opinion of the aquaxtreme but was a bit cautious about how I phrased the question due to some people's idea of silence (which my eheim 1250 is not, although take away the vibration problems and its good enough, forgeting the mounting issue too).

Soldato
As you are only cooling one block, have you considered a CSP-MAG?
Less power, but shouldn't be an issue in a single block loop, plus it will dump less heat into the loop.
3 pin connection can be run off a rheostat / fan controller if required, but not needed.
Quietest pump I have used to date.

Soldato
I have two AQX50z's and they're not silent.

You'll get vibration from all pumps, which will create noise by vibrating anything they come into contact with.

My AQX's are surrounded in foam in an aluminium box, and I can still JUST hear them humming. The rest of the PC is crazy quiet though, so that's maybe why they are more noticeable.

Back
Top Bottom