Watercooling Virgin

Associate
Hey guys,

I am, as the title threat says, a watercooling Virgin! I would like to water cool my existing Q6600, as I have decided I do not want to buy a i7 quite yet but would rather wait for the i9. I posted another thread recently about how hot my CPU was because of this overclocking. My quest for a silent fast PC begins. :)

This is a list of my current gear.

Intel Q6600 @ 3.4ghz
Nvidia 780i SLi
2 X 1GB Crucial Balistix RAM
Zalman CPU Cooler (Can't remember the exact model)
Nvidia GTX 260
Coolermaster Cosmos 1000 Case
Enermax Galaxy 1000w PSU

I want to watercool this PC so that it is silent. Currently, I can hear a large humming noise coming from the case. I am wondering, would any kind soul who is experienced with water cooling be willing to guide be though the process? I would be prepared to pay for your time to talk me through it.

I would be willing to take pics and put them up for others to see as a type of guide or something to help a newbie through this daunting procedure.

I have a budget of £250 or so. You could even start to list the items I would need. A comprehensive list would be awesome! Any requirements to be highlighted would be good too - such as what bit's of my PC must be free of components - such as some CD bays?

Regards,

Farore

Soldato
Link to our other thread would be helpfull - save me looking.
Also a 'silent' pc for 250 is impossable.
An inaudable one maybe possable if you live in an urban area and don't plan to use it at night.

If you just want a very quiet pc - and that what most people mean, it shouldn't be too hard but you may have to compromise on what is MOST important - max OC/min noise/space/cost.

The advise - if you are prepaired to do at least some of the legwork - will cost you nothing. A bit of help with the instilation, some members may charge you for.

There are a few cosmos's in the watercooling gallery thread - might be worth a look

I would also propose that watercooling may not be the best approach.
As a Prolimatech Megahalems or Thermalright IFX-14 with a arctic cooling accelero may be enough with quality case fans and half the cost.

If near silence is what you are looking to acheive and keep your hot hardware - passive watercooling is your only real option.
InnovatekKonvekt-O-Matic or 2xZalman reservators or Cape-Cora tubes etc. but block choice and coolant addatives are VERY important.
And you may need to stretch your budget or look at second hand kit (Zalman Res1's come up on various sites all the time - but your need two of thoses)
the better Innovatek stuff very rarely is sold second hand - as once you have a near silent pc you'll never use fans again - and the loop will last a lifetime if looked after.

Last edited:
Associate
Your pc case is alredy very quite.. but you can make it more quiet for under 100 pounds.
Akasa AK-195-BL to replace your top fans.
h50 water cooler its a small water cooling kit with great reviews and is said to be as good as the more expensive ones.
Akasa Siliconized Rubber Fan Pins to replace your screws and cuts down on noise.

Doing this would make your case even more quiet then it is now and give u better temps in your case/cpu.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the info shadowscotland :) I will probably aim for a quiet pc for now.

Is Akasa AK-195-B the best one to go for as I am using a Coolermaster Cosmos and eVGA 780i SLi Mobo?

I've ordered the h50 water cooler. :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom