Waterproof walking trousers

Associate
As title really, looking for a good pair of non noise or non Crinkle waterproof trousers.

Looked at paramo cascada but they will eventually get damp if worn for long periods of time.

Don't want over trousers as they make a lot of noise.

Anyone got a good pair they've tried and can recommend?

Soldato
My ex bought me some from pentagon, never heard name before but ridiculously comftable very light and waterproof, worn them casually throughout summer tbh, i do tend to carry the outer ones in my rucksack as well though.......
Edit for spelling

Screenshot-20211020-161312-com-android-gallery3d.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
As title really, looking for a good pair of non noise or non Crinkle waterproof trousers.

Looked at paramo cascada but they will eventually get damp if worn for long periods of time.

Don't want over trousers as they make a lot of noise.

Anyone got a good pair they've tried and can recommend?

Did you get any, I'm also after some decent ones, saves me having another thread.

Soldato
NeoShell tends to make a bit less noise than Goretex, but I'm not sure how many manufacturers use it nowadays. I've got a Jottnar jacket made from their own fabric, Skjoldr, which isn't quite as crinkly as Goretex but it still makes a noise.

Associate
OP
Did you get any, I'm also after some decent ones, saves me having another thread.

No... Somewhat spoilt for choice. I did find some made by a company called OEX but the company behind the name is actually go outdoors.

Those are the oex statra which are a soft shell with a water repellent coating. I might give them a go

Caporegime
No... Somewhat spoilt for choice. I did find some made by a company called OEX but the company behind the name is actually go outdoors.

Those are the oex statra which are a soft shell with a water repellent coating. I might give them a go

I doubt they'll be waterproof, deter a shower or so but nothing major. My rab ones have dwr coating and they'll be soaked in a downpour. I'd still wear them over waterproofs though.

I'm sure alpkit do affordable waterproofs?

Soldato

Water repellent does not mean waterproof, it just means it can take a shower. Any prolonged rain and you'll get soaked through.

You need a hard shell if you want something actually waterproof, from a decent brand that will accompany the GoreTex or similar with appropriate seam construction and zips etc.

I typically wear Montane Terra Mission trousers which are DWR and sufficient for dealing with showers, and dry out very fast, and have a very lightweight pair of overtrousers (Montane Minimus) in my pack in case I get stuck somewhere exposed.

Soldato
if they're not goretex or another hard shell, they won't be properly waterproof. If they ARE goretex or similar, they will be noisy.

So choose one.

I'd probably get something like this as probably as good a middleground as you'll find

https://arcteryx.com/gb/en/shop/mens/gamma-lt-pant

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/reviews/clothing-mens/hiking-pants/arcteryx-gamma-lt-pant said:
Comfortable, look good, versatile, blocks wind and water better than the rest

Soldato
I had Paramo Cascada doing all the Wainwrights in Lake District in some pretty miserable, wet weather and they never let me down once. Actually, I feel Cascada + Velez smock is the best combo for this countries weather.

Soldato
I use Craghoppers for golf, my thighs are a little larger than normal and they certainly give a little more room to move in and there are solar/rain proof versions. I use mostly Kiwi classics but have various other pairs and the lined version are quite well insulating too.

Man of Honour
Every time I see this thread title it gives me pause for thought, am I really the erudite hedonistic man of the world that I always assumed myself to be?
I’ve bought casual strides, shorts, (knee length or marginally lower), cargo pants, jeans, (mostly straight cut, never boot cut, sometimes baggy) almost always blue or faded blue, been to bespoke tailors and been measured for suits or just well cut trousers, almost always with turn ups, but I’ve never given a thought to trousers specifically for walking, nor even heard of them prior to seeing this thread.
Surely it is too late for me to reappraise my sartorial style, should I apply for a place in a monastery, or merely accept that life has passed me by?
At least I’ve never succumbed to the dreaded elasticated waist, and as long as I swerve fry-ups and stay fit enough for a daily stroll around the perimeter of Southwark Park it will hopefully stay that way.

Soldato
Every time I see this thread title it gives me pause for thought, am I really the erudite hedonistic man of the world that I always assumed myself to be?
I’ve bought casual strides, shorts, (knee length or marginally lower), cargo pants, jeans, (mostly straight cut, never boot cut, sometimes baggy) almost always blue or faded blue, been to bespoke tailors and been measured for suits or just well cut trousers, almost always with turn ups, but I’ve never given a thought to trousers specifically for walking, nor even heard of them prior to seeing this thread.
Surely it is too late for me to reappraise my sartorial style, should I apply for a place in a monastery, or merely accept that life has passed me by?
At least I’ve never succumbed to the dreaded elasticated waist, and as long as I swerve fry-ups and stay fit enough for a daily stroll around the perimeter of Southwark Park it will hopefully stay that way.
Its never too late.

turn ups btw.... Jeepers!

Soldato
Well tbh when i did my camino (across pyranees and width of northern Spain 31 days walking) my trousers of choice were ebay 8 quid ones, they were so thin they dried out in no time, twas September but a damn fine one

Back
Top Bottom