Ways to save money using a VPN?

Associate
Legal ways, that is. Not dubious or chancy in any way.

I've just been looking at the prices Netflix charges in other countries. Big differences, relatively speaking. Not quite sure if joining Netflix from/via another country would be a legal or moral way to go about things. Besides my PC may be able to run a VPN but my smart tv would not. So, I'm sticking with my UK subscription.

But it got me thinking, are there other ways to save on goods, services and subscriptions with a VPN?

I've not done much research on this yet but is it possible that my VPN could save me a lot of money when making purchases by connecting via different servers with my Surfshark VPN?

Forgive my ignorance but it seems, on the face of it, it might be worth investigating. I certainly do not want to do anything dubious or illegal.

Soldato

I've just been looking at the prices Netflix charges in other countries. Big differences, relatively speaking. Not quite sure if joining Netflix from/via another country would be a legal or moral way to go about things. Besides my PC may be able to run a VPN but my smart tv would not. So, I'm sticking with my UK subscription.

But it got me thinking, are there other ways to save on goods, services and subscriptions with a VPN?

I've not done much research on this yet but is it possible that my VPN could save me a lot of money when making purchases by connecting via different servers with my Surfshark VPN?

Forgive my ignorance but it seems, on the face of it, it might be worth investigating. I certainly do not want to do anything dubious or illegal.

Why would you need a VPN to use the account outside of the country you signed up with?

Are you not allowed to use your UK account when you go on holiday?

Soldato

yes any subscription services or digital content like games and movie purchases will be cheaper if you use a vpn to various other countries like india for example,

however you will need to use a fee free card or work around like that or you will be charged a couple of quid each month in fees.

legally wise, well its misrepresentation at least, as you will be giving a fake address for the billing details at least.

Soldato
... Besides my PC may be able to run a VPN but my smart tv would not. So, I'm sticking with my UK subscription. ...

I run a software router and have 1+ persistent VPN connections that route traffic from multiple WiFi networks. Devices simply need to connect to one of a few networks in order to access a VPN, so my smart TV, for example, simply needs to connect to a specific WiFi network in order to egress traffic via [insert some place that is not my ISP]. I do not need to run any VPN software on the TV.

Associate
OP
Why would you need a VPN to use the account outside of the country you signed up with?

Are you not allowed to use your UK account when you go on holiday?

So ditch the VPN and just go on holiday every time you want to watch Netflix? That'll save a load of cash :cry:

Yes, I can use netflix outside the uk. No need for VPN. Just wondering if a VPN can be of help when making other purchases. Legally, morally.

legally wise, well its misrepresentation at least, as you will be giving a fake address for the billing details at least.

True. Good answer. Misrepresentation would be a dubious use.

Associate
OP
I run a software router and have 1+ persistent VPN connections that route traffic from multiple WiFi networks. Devices simply need to connect to one of a few networks in order to access a VPN, so my smart TV, for example, simply needs to connect to a specific WiFi network in order to egress traffic via [insert some place that is not my ISP]. I do not need to run any VPN software on the TV.

Too technical for me :)

Caporegime
yes any subscription services or digital content like games and movie purchases will be cheaper if you use a vpn to various other countries like india for example,

however you will need to use a fee free card or work around like that or you will be charged a couple of quid each month in fees.

You don't need to give an address if you pay by gift cards like I did, Turkish Netflix cards are pretty popular.

I don't think I had to say anything confirming I was a resident in Turkey, unless it was hidden in the T's & C's, so I wouldn't call it outright misrepresentation, I just took the deal Netflix offered me based on my IP.

Caporegime
How do you pay for it? do you need Turkish payment cards?

I couldn't get a foreign Netflix subscription to work by just using a VPN as they required a payment card in that country. YouTube premium was fine though.

Bought these with my UK debit card, I worked out you're paying like £10.xx for £9.xx worth of gift cards so well worth it compared to paying an extra £10 a month for a UK sub.

https://www.g2a.com/netflix-gift-card-100-tl-turkey-i10000006307013

Associate

surfshark works on my smart tv through a firestick {app download on amazon apps} handy for watching netflix us instead of uk

its 83% off just now with 2 months free and on topcashback 75% back

does take a few months for the cashback if i remember

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
How do you pay for it? do you need Turkish payment cards?

Applies to UK. From this thread.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/net...ly-3-96-month-vpn-turkey-required-2266421/56/

• Ensure valid Canadian credit card is on file, this method will work for as long as your card it valid;
  • Cancel Canadian Netflix;
  • Wait for sub to expire;
  • Buy Turkish Netflix GC (G2A, etc);
  • VPN to Turkey and login to Netflix in incognito browser;
  • Restart sub;
  • When selecting payment method, change to gift card and enter the GC number from above;
  • After redeeming GC, skip entering any backup payment method (your precious CC from Canadian account will default to backup payment method);
  • After GC runs out, backup CC will be billed monthly; and
  • Enjoy Premium UHD Netflix for $5 a month!

I haven't used a VPN trick myself directly, but more indirectly for me. I have a mate who VPN'd to India and subscribed to YouTube Premium for around £2/month. He then set up YouTube Family and linked up my YT account along with a couple of other mates, so we all pay 50p/month for YT Premium :)

The only other VPN "hack" I'm aware of is something to do with the Nintendo Switch, where you VPN it to a different country and you get the Nintendo online access for a reduced amount. Can't remember which ccountry it was though. Think it was Mexico or somewhere in South America like Brazil.

Associate
Applies to UK. From this thread.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/net...ly-3-96-month-vpn-turkey-required-2266421/56/

• Ensure valid Canadian credit card is on file, this method will work for as long as your card it valid;
  • Cancel Canadian Netflix;
  • Wait for sub to expire;
  • Buy Turkish Netflix GC (G2A, etc);
  • VPN to Turkey and login to Netflix in incognito browser;
  • Restart sub;
  • When selecting payment method, change to gift card and enter the GC number from above;
  • After redeeming GC, skip entering any backup payment method (your precious CC from Canadian account will default to backup payment method);
  • After GC runs out, backup CC will be billed monthly; and
  • Enjoy Premium UHD Netflix for $5 a month!

Cheers. Im in the UK. How'd you obtain a valid canadian CC?

Back
Top Bottom