Waze speed camera app

Soldato
I have been looking for a replacement for my Snooper speed camera stuck to windscreen as most of the time it can't connect to God in the sky.
During my searches Waze was mentioned as the best App to use on phone or my Android car radio.
So downloaded Waze and then it wanted my location -Fine - then it wanted my age ?? but fine - Then it wanted permission to access my contacts/pictures and other personal bit's -- WHY ?? all that just to say there is a speed camara round the next corner.

Uninstalled it within 10 min.

Soldato
It's a sat nav app with speed camera warnings/maps. Permissions are not very granular in android etc so often perms to contacts etc allow things like voice activated calling, access to share your drive(say your other half can see where you are on the map with a link etc) there's nothing suspicious about Waze..it is owned by Google and if anything they know more about you than you do about yourself.

Associate
Waze is fantastic for speed trap alerts, fog warnings, even potholes. Cracking app powered by crowdsourced real-time data. I hate driving without it these days.

Soldato
OP
Right - I will have another look
Does it work off line or on line like Here We go - or do I need to pair phone data to car radio.

Cheers Lads

Soldato
Right - I will have another look
Does it work off line or on line like Here We go - or do I need to pair phone data to car radio.

Cheers Lads
Online only really, the data for speed traps, potholes etc is all powered by the users who report as they go. Routing is usually good but can go a bit dumb sometimes. It is still my to-go satnav on Android simply because of speed trap alerting.

Soldato
As above great app. You can probably decline permission to your contact list, I think that would just mean some features wouldn't work like allowing a contact to track your journey.

Soldato
Waze - GPS, Maps, Traffic Alerts & Live Navigation
Waze

Showing permissions for all versions of this app
This app has access to:
HamT9lfCgDFF51sEKg0PVXBeo5spdXLKf7ZGZwBg4DqDCzIqraYBO3iNyi0cqGzXR_wktUPw56h-_KUf=s20-rw
Calendar
  • read calendar events plus confidential information
QDYtvjtZon4TYi4-wkvfIqszmmJL258051XdtozjpIZVH-8zVoay1oBS9vw7lzDYYaDz48AzxmOY040lNqc=s20-rw
Phone
  • read phone status and identity
xbP_oGuJ21iG29iVh0p-UIZPzi_fYj8PMYiqDd9-LvaZ_a1tRcwp0I2-arfXvgX9YtfZTTaqwcLRWPNQM_c=s20-rw
Camera
  • take pictures and videos
AUs-Fih7eEfuhp-4lYGGK65UvYQ2K6qaKi0dRUipSmiac-QL94IbT-XylwOgMoaYBDLuGOz1l5Yn_K6z1NM=s20-rw
Identity
  • find accounts on the device
  • read your own contact card
  • add or remove accounts
c5fJsmDZCeHY1tZmeGXL12sHi8herULd72A_egjaAHylmgM-4gLiw4CuDJSzNnK5q8yxAAy4RyxtkdYzcg=s20-rw
Contacts
  • find accounts on the device
  • modify your contacts
  • read your contacts
aWNKQedLTpw6u6yyMjQObmuoKu67A1czWnIcvID86oAmMT02r5mNdRn6l9ZN2t2MIyH6tNy-01v7ukeQ=s20-rw
Storage
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage
daUjqbSOr2QpaqXS2HQbNzYzzqN2yWGzM_7AZxwFaWLT7_kIhX95HKi_HSpjeeQDOmFMENZxJqblbu_4qg=s20-rw
Microphone
  • record audio
4rkEm_eN4F8lAtqf1avrqAQ49_IjMjRduxI5szmftCXmKzSaLsNScjM5DSGQp2qtI5R_fqj8j7aJi_G3dg=s20-rw
  • precise location (GPS and network-based)
  • access extra location provider commands
  • approximate location (network-based)
l2htRLV5Mt-RZ6nroJCXy3OF_CqdntOsEetnLEjH1wC-WJWV00R5orcBWj0NMFKJVEQU6JhPYRBCKnj3_Q=s20-rw
Device ID & call information
  • read phone status and identity
pHtIujPWxciAZcfYSwlrGGq14Z984rKLMgcm9RPATLiOlbrWy-tVlelEWgED7gpktgcD1tZizVeHiO5fkw=s20-rw
Photos / Media / Files
  • read the contents of your USB storage
  • modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Other
  • read sync statistics
  • receive data from Internet
  • run at startup
  • access Bluetooth settings
  • draw over other apps
  • prevent device from sleeping
  • send sticky broadcast
  • control vibration
  • modify system settings
  • read sync settings
  • pair with Bluetooth devices
  • view network connections
  • toggle sync on and off
  • create accounts and set passwords
  • use accounts on the device
  • change your audio settings
  • full network access

Full list of permissions requested, contacts is to share location to friends/calendar can pull address/post of meetings etc

Soldato
Only passed my driving test 3 years ago and I've only used Waze.. it's defo saved me from not getting any points... It's the only reason I have a phone tbh and I use it for work everyday too 150+ miles a day driving.

As said routing can be weird it's taken me down some undrivable lanes before in and around Devon..

Associate
What are the advantages of Waze over Google Maps? I've used Google Maps as my satnav for ages and it seems good for spotting congestion and flags up speed cameras. Is Waze much better?

Soldato
What are the advantages of Waze over Google Maps? I've used Google Maps as my satnav for ages and it seems good for spotting congestion and flags up speed cameras. Is Waze much better?

Waze allows you to report things and see other users reports of anything from speed cameras to potholes, cars stopped in the road etc.

Back
Top Bottom