Wd red efax v efrx write speed

Associate
Help needed!
I purchased 2 4tb wd red nas drives. Now one drive is efax the other efrx .
Correct me if iam wrong the efrx uses cmr and the efax uses smr.

I did some research into these drives the efax use smr which are supposed to be slower at writes.

I did some write tests on both drives the efax 256mb cache is twice as fast 115 mb a sec writes
The efrx is only 50mb sec.

Huh. I thought the efax was supposed to be slower????? What’s going on.

Permabanned
SMR may be slower but it isn't always slower. It depends a lot on how many writes it needs to actually write the data and it's not a given thing that it always needs more. The main thing is that the cache usually runs out faster so writing slows down more abruptly but it might not slow down as much as you expect. SMR are not the evil creatures many make them out to be, but it is true to say they don't do well in RAID.
Write speeds also depend on what you are reading, and where you are reading it from. If I transfer data from an SSD to a SMR or CMR drive I get 400MB/s until the cache is full then they fall to 120 and 150 MB/s respectively. If you are seeing 115MB/s then you really aren't going to be able to see the difference between SMR and CMR.
There is something wrong if you are getting 50mb/s for that drive. Then again, what data are you moving? Move lots of files and it will seriously destroy your write speed. Your best bet is to find a large video and just copy the one file. And use a different file for each drive so it's not in some cache somewhere or other!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
pp111
Iam copying 1gb rar file from ssd drive to the 2 drives in question.

Tested again smr still twice as fast than the cmr.
I thought wd had mislabelled the drive. But no checked with h drive utilise ect .
Something wrong here. Any ideas?

Nothing cached.

Permabanned
Definitely something wrong. I mean I have an EFRX in a NAS and I get 113mb/s which is not the limit of the drive, it is the limit of my network. So, yes, something wrong with that EFRX. You should get much higher than 50mb/s. I can't begin to explain why it would be that low, unless the drive is very full maybe? Did you try defragging it?

Also, looking at my PC, I can get about 2gb copied at over 400mb/s, so I don't think 1GB is enough. Try a 4gb movie or something.

I have to admit at the moment I have no idea what is going wrong.

Associate
OP
Definitely something wrong. I mean I have an EFRX in a NAS and I get 113mb/s which is not the limit of the drive, it is the limit of my network. So, yes, something wrong with that EFRX. You should get much higher than 50mb/s. I can't begin to explain why it would be that low, unless the drive is very full maybe? Did you try defragging it?

Also, looking at my PC, I can get about 2gb copied at over 400mb/s, so I don't think 1GB is enough. Try a 4gb movie or something.

I have to admit at the moment I have no idea what is going wrong.

The 2 drives are are backup drives identical contents. Actually the have sacd ISO’s on them
both drives have 12gb free.
Still doesn’t explain the differences in speed ect.

I have just reformatted and installed fresh install of win 10 enterprise.
Turned off all the crap .

Used 0&0 shutup which disables apps from running ect.
Made sure nothing was trying to use the drives, cpu 1%.
Did a retest wd 4tb efrx 52mb sec. wd 4tb efax 113 mb sec .

maybe the wrong label stuck on the disk. Disproved that, with looking at drive config.
Used crystal disk . and hd tune.
I am stumped.

Efrx 64mb cache. Efax 256mb

Soldato
12GB free is basically nothing and the slow speeds could easily be the result of fragmentation of free space (no continuous blocks available ).

Benchmarking full drives is irrelevant...

Defrag them both and see what happens at the very least.

Associate
OP
Decided to buy new drive.
Been calling on all week, never got through.
Anyway ordered online seagate ironwolf pro for my nas, the idea was to buy another’s 1 in a few weeks.
Order was fulfilled problem was they supplied me with wrong tracking.

I called yet again 2 hrs later they hung up. Huh.
Received the drive this morn, it was dead on arrival.
Managed to call oc being returned morrow for refund. What a shambles.

This is third drive in the last few yrs that was dead on arrival,
Jumped ship now buying from scan com...

Message to OC.
You need to get your customer phone line enquiring sorted.
It’s abominable, your loosing thousands of customers.
2 to 3 hr waiting on phone is not good for business.
You have has 12 months since this virus hit, to get your house in order.

Back
Top Bottom