We are getting FTTP in our new house what should i expect.

Soldato
Just looking for information
seems the house we are moving into is a new house built with direct fiber to the house installed as the house has fiber cables in side of the house with a little open reach grey box bolted onto the outside of the house.

and BT check shows we can get FIBER 150 or 250 installed. 150mb and 300mb speeds
we have ordered bt fiber 250 package up to 300+ max and 150 garantee`d

This is amazing cause we are probably one of the few people in our town to get this technology everyone else in the town has ADSL 2+ 80mb max speeds

i cant wait to try it out though i have a few questions.

1: the new house we are moving into according to BT all we need is to be activated
so no engineer call all we get is the super hub 2 delivered 1 day before activation and we install it ourselfs
does anyone know if there is a modem already in pre built fiber houses ? or will i just require to install super hub when it arrives into the phone socket like i would have done with ADSL

2: currently with talktalk i got pings around 12ms will i get lower than that with FIBER ?
also there is a saying according to BT we dont have FULL FIBER but we can get there 100 and 250 packages ? as far as i know thats the max package that BT do i though Fiber to the home was full fiber ?

3: does fiber to the home require DLM moderation ? meaning if i have a power cut or reset modem will that affect my next sync up speed ?
being new fiber to the area and only a few houses here have it being all new built will i have problems with speed as in after 5pm to 4am will speeds be reduced due to high volumes of people or will i get full speed all the time, and also downloading do BT monitor what you download ? do they spy on you ??

is it best to use VPN.

and is fiber speeds totally unlimited bandwith as much as you can download without getting speed restricted ?

sorry for all the questions but being new to fiber just need to cross my t`s and dot my i`s :)

Soldato
OP
Mr Bolt, i dont think i am connected in this new property to a copper of any kind,, i have fiber cables going up the wall from the ground to a small grey open reach box thats bolted onto the side of the house, i will try to get a picture today to show and sparkymark75 there was nothing said about engineer visit just saying i would be activated,, but if your right that i need a ONT fitted how can i check this
im going to the house today, i guess i need to look around to see if i can see any modem ect in the house fitted with fiber ect if not i will need to contact BT and enquire....

also about my other question does anyone know them ? or anyone on bt`s fiber 250 package that can give some information regarding performance or speed reduction or problems or things that they or i should know cheers. ;)

Soldato
OP
Have a look at Zen. Some new estates have an exclusivity agreement with BT though so do make sure you check this out.

RE Your comment about VPN, if you don't know why you want it then the answer is no.

Thanks for the suggestion :

Not sure who to go with now as its weird but i couldnt find any other isp`s apart from BT but seems that ZEN finds a full fiber connection at my address : and can offer me there FULL FIBER

ZEN : unlimited Full Fiber 4 : Average 300/50 speeds
Truly unlimited download usage
FREE router^
FREE static IP address
Auto compensation - What is this not sure what this is ? or means ?
18 month contract
Award winning service
UK call centre
£59.99 18 month contract- this is for broadband only no landline
£55 Activation fee`

---

Now with bt they are charging me £49.99 - and free activation cheaper ???
and they also giving me £120 rewards card
and also free router and also landline is included - though its on a pay as you go so every call charges me but i dont plan on using the house phone at all as we have mobiles...
24 month contract - after 24 months - price goes to normal £52.99
Uk call center

-------

Now to me i think bt beat zen here though zen offer static IP having a static ip is useful arghhh ok need to make choices haha :)
i think zen would beat bt though on download speeds during the evening where by i think bt would throttle speeds... bt have garantee`d 150mb download speeds at all times and up to 300 average,, not sure what zens speed garantee is...

arghh need to think about this.

Soldato
OP
hope your right ;)

ok just last question been to the new house and it does have direct fiber and also ONT already installed in the house
so i gather by these photo`s that everything is set just for them to activate ? as in no engineer needed right ?
and also is this FULL FIBER or FTTC just checking ;)

4766845632c83a6aeca283621b0d4ca9b8b0ab05f164ff577581b574763b731d70de00b3.jpg

and

44832496a4fab90defb7788e894ee8dbcd3292d36c6350b4bfb2cc38ee7baf05b01ddcd2.jpg

full

Soldato
OP
sweet ;) and no both lights where solid green when i took the photo`s myself about 2 hours ago at the house as we are currently still in our house and getting ready to move everything to the new house ;)

Soldato
OP
well im hoping i get better pings than 18-20+ as that would be horrible for me as im a gamer..
with my current address with fttc and copper the rest of the way i get pings of around 12.

from what i have read Zen are pretty decent isp and they also provide me with a static ip address though not sure what i would need that or use that or other than making webpages lol

With Zen they have this in there product information ? Auto compensation - What is this not sure what this is ? or means ?

Soldato
OP
8814917019.png

good enough for me ;) though ping is just the same as when i was with talktalk :/ lol must phone zen and see if i can get that ping lowered :)
apart from that im extremely happy...

Back
Top Bottom