Web Design Frameworks - Which is more powerful, Bootstrap or Wordpress?

Soldato
Hi Guys

I am looking at web design frameworks, and want to ask which do you find more powerful, Bootstrap or Wordpress? With Bootstrap, it strikes me that it's good for creating a small website, but it doesn't have the same power as Wordpress, which lets you create an online content management system with a database. Your thoughts please?

Thanks

Soldato
Bootstrap is a CSS, HTML & JavaScript framework for the front-end/layout whereas WordPress is a full CMS, with database for your back-end/content etc.

So they're two completely different things really.

For example, you would set WordPress up, then you could write a theme using Bootstrap for it.

Soldato
You could do if you want to make yourself a custom theme. Completely up to you really.

Depends what you want to do as well. If you want to get a simple site up and running, then you might learn more (initially) writing it in pure HTML, CSS and JS with Bootstrap.

If you want to do a bit more, use some plugins, or use a pre-made template, then WordPress is good for that.

Associate
radderfire, is there a particular end goal for you in terms of the choice?

If you're looking to develop your skills, learning Bootstrap first might be more helpful as it works on more than just Wordpress.

If you're specifically looking at Wordpress for it's CMS functionality, I would start there instead and look at some of the free themes available that you like the look of. You could end up finding something that looks awesome and does almost what you want it to, but if it doesn't use Bootstrap, then there wouldn't be any point in learning it just yet :)

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the responses guys. I have now had a look at both. I will learn more about both. That said, I now feel Wordpress is more powerful in terms of creating a website, because it has the content management as well.

Associate
From all your recent posts I get the impression you are trying to learn to much in one go. I would choose one area and learn it properly. If you choose to learn HTML followed by JavaScript then CSS and go in depth you wil find after that things like Bootstrap, Flexbox,angular, React ec will make much more sense and you will be able to pick them up much quicker.

Soldato
From all your recent posts I get the impression you are trying to learn to much in one go. I would choose one area and learn it properly. If you choose to learn HTML followed by JavaScript then CSS and go in depth you wil find after that things like Bootstrap, Flexbox,angular, React ec will make much more sense and you will be able to pick them up much quicker.
Completely agree. Jumping half-assed from one technology to another will leave you frustrated and missing essential knowledge.

Associate
Completely agree. Jumping half-assed from one technology to another will leave you frustrated and missing essential knowledge.

Yes this, I'm in a situation where I know a little about a lot of technologies so I can knock up an half decent web page, I can alter code to make it more or less do what I want. BUT I need google open all the time to help me. If I had my time again Id work on the fundamentals first get them ingrained first then move on the the more flash stuff. It may not be 'cool' but in the long run you will understand more and be able to pick things up quicker.
I take it your quite Young? If so take your time learning things till you understand them and can write it without really thinking.

Back
Top Bottom