Web Hosts

Associate
As some of you may be aware, hosting companies other than Vidahost and TSOhost do actually exist, however you do have to wonder why?!

Example 1 - Vidahost

It's a Sunday, I've been out all day, get back at 11:30 at night to find my answering machine and email full of messages from a client saying his sites been hacked and can I take it down temporarily then fix it during the week when I have the chance. Now even Vidahost basic shared package comes with 30day rolling backups so I simply fire off an email to them at MIDNIGHT on Sunday, 1 hour later the site is fully restores to a backup from a week ago and all is working perfectly. (Yes I fixed the security flaws the next day!)

Example 2 - GoDaddy

Currently doing a site for a client who is with a rather quint little company called GoDaddy. Stright away a few points stick out, their own website is slow, they offer unlimited packages, the whole customer account side is geared towards selling more crap not maintenance, and they are running a custom cPanel.
However, I was SHOCKED and APPALLED to when it took them 8 hours to reply to an email I sent them asking a question about IIS6, IIS7 and PHP5 and even then their only response was a generic copy and paste. Frankly I had to lie down for a bit I was so horrified!

Any way. No real point to this post, I just like to rant occasionally. I'm thinking about doing an extended soliloquy on 'Why Joomla sucks' compared to everything from static files with table layouts to Flash based websites that play music and disable the back button!

Dump Joomla - it's buggy and a real security risk.

Use Wordpress (stay current with updates). I often find that MODx is a heavy duty platform with substantial evolution to give good security - and it's also fast - faster than Wordpress by a country mile.

Use Vidahost because I've trusted them for over 5 years to look after all my hosting - and they have - impeccably.

Vidahost or TSo. Never host anything with godaddy. (just my opinion)

Joomla wouldn't even look at it, the whole thing is not very intuitive and just seems over complex.

Wordpress has & has had too many issues for my liking. Although I so use it as some people insist on it.

Modx is where most of my stuff is going now and the people I have done work for have been over the moon with it. Very extendible but with good base features.

I needed a host for some personal sites lately, was torn between Tsohost and Vidahost based on OcHostReview.

Went with Vidahost in the end. I had a query with the sign-up process so sent them an email and it was answered in literally 3 minutes - I was very impressed!

Example 2 - GoDaddy

Currently doing a site for a client who is with a rather quint little company called GoDaddy. Stright away a few points stick out, their own website is slow, they offer unlimited packages, the whole customer account side is geared towards selling more crap not maintenance, and they are running a custom cPanel.
However, I was SHOCKED and APPALLED to when it took them 8 hours to reply to an email I sent them asking a question about IIS6, IIS7 and PHP5 and even then their only response was a generic copy and paste. Frankly I had to lie down for a bit I was so horrified!

I agree, I used GoDaddy for a while and found that they weren't particularly helpful at the best of times, however I now use Bluehost and Siteground and so far so good *touches wood*.

Trying to sign up with vidahost now, as i'm with ASO in the US and would prefer some UK based hosting.

Their sign up for doesn't work - "Error: Invalid JSON: Invalid GET Data"

EDIT: Excellent support - took them just a few mins to email me a new link to use.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom