Web page with menus dynamically populated from folders

Associate
I am looking for options to have a page with menus dynamically populated with links to .pdf's in folders.

This would need to be client side only

I'm a bit of a noob for html but if you point me in the right direction I can look it up.

Thanks

Soldato
When you say client side, do you mean the folders with the pdf files are on the client machine?
You're going to come across a lot of security problems trying to directly access the filesystem of a client.

Soldato
This is impossible....

Being slightly pedantic, it's not entirely impossible as Java or Flash (with a bit of faffing) can access the local filesystem and you could then interact with the objects using Javascript. Granted it's a bit more than a few lines of javascript and it's definitely a 'messy' and 'bodgy' way to do it, hence serverside scripting is the better solution, but it could be done if need be :)

Soldato
if this is work related, you need to get on to whoever manages the server and get some server side scripting setup. presumably it's running apache or IIS so installing php should be a doddle.

either that or allow directory listing on the folders that contain the documents. a bit uglier but the end result is the same.

last resort is coding everything from scratch yourself. depending on how often files are added/removed/renamed, this could be bit of a nightmare. :p

edit: if you have local access to the folder(s) or even over a network share, it could be possible to write some sort of script that will get a directory listing and generate the html markup for you.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies. I got php installed and I can manage the links from folders but quite nicely

However you will see here, I want have a drop down which lists the folders and when selected, refresh the page with the links for that folder.

What I can't my head round is how to pass the selection from the dropdown with the folders to the request to generate links

I'm sure this is relatively simple but I have been trying all day and can't get there

Associate
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom