Webserver/Wordpress - what hardware?

Associate
Hi guys, I have been looking for the last few weeks to move my website, currently hosted on office 365/sharepoint online, to a proper wordpress version.

I would preferably like to host it myself because, alongside this I have a few other sites that need hosting and my misses needs a place for her art website.

I'm guessing I'll need a microserver of some description (if someone could suggest what I may need that would be great).

Also, how would I go about setting this server up to run as FTP and host a website, I've seen various guides but a lot are fairly outdated, I'd probably run server as server 2008 r2 as I already have the software.

I am totally new to this kind of venture, but if anyone knows how I get started with this kind of project, I would be very appreciative of the assistance!

Associate
OP
Once you get into cpanel scroll to the plugins (normally at the bottom) click wordpress and then restore your current site to it.

However just to throw another idea out there. Have a look athttp://www.eleven2.com/

Been using them for just under a year very solid had, 5 minutes downtime in total. O and should add their customer service is brilliant!

I have to recreate my site from scratch probably, it's really terrible anyway!
Am I right in saying WP has templates I can build from? I'm currently playing with WP maintaining my day job coimpanies' website

Associate
OP
Wordpress has thousands of them.

After you've installed the plugin (if it doesn't contain a template you like already) just find one you like download it and then upload it (or ftp) to the wordpress templates directory on your server "/wp-content/themes/".

Easy as pie.

Sounds easy enough, but I'll probably end up flailing around and screwing it up for a while, I'm pretty rubbish with webservers and ftp :D

Thanks for the help guys!

Back
Top Bottom