Website for Unlimited FTP hosting.

Soldato
You didn't actually mention that before, but it's still not a major issue unless they plan on actually charging you for the work or are telling you to do it yourself. Other than the new IP*, such changes should be done transparently to yourself.

However this new info does point to them having a fairly traditional approach to hosting services which would likely limit their ability to allow you to grow easily in the future. So whilst your gut feeling was probably right, I'd still say your reasoning seems a tad suspect.

Still the point of that dialogue is to help those who don't know what those terms reflect in reality so they can make informed decisions in the future. Theres simply no need to get defensive over your time and money bro. :p

* You should be using hostnames instead of IP addresses and C Names before A records. Even though your current hosting company is doing a good job right now, theres no telling which clowns will be running them in the future. Relying on DNS as opposed to IP addresses helps you migrate things away transparently to your users. It's pretty good practice in my opinion.

I think we're both pointing out the same thing here - with regards to my experience our quick response might not have been the way you would have done it but worked out for the best in the end :)

And I agree about the hostnames etc but the change of IP addresses was an issue with some legacy software we had to use that was distributed off site so out of our control for quick updates (connection information was limited to IP style input boxes :eek: )

Aaaaanyway - all my past bad experiences are hopefully of use to someone when specing this kind of thing out!

aln

aln

Associate
I think we're both pointing out the same thing here - with regards to my experience our quick response might not have been the way you would have done it but worked out for the best in the end :)

And I agree about the hostnames etc but the change of IP addresses was an issue with some legacy software we had to use that was distributed off site so out of our control for quick updates (connection information was limited to IP style input boxes :eek: )

Aaaaanyway - all my past bad experiences are hopefully of use to someone when specing this kind of thing out!

I spent time working for web hosting companies as a programmer, so I was just trying to point out that the package functionality isn't tied to actual hosting infrastructure as a requirement. It's just business logic the same as pay-as-you-go and I didn't want people to get the wrong idea.

You elaborated, it's cool. :)

Soldato
I use Hostgator Business Package which is only $15 USD per month, been with them since 2006.

I have unlimited bandwidth, unlimited space and I been told I have one of the biggest accounts on the server that my account is housed on.

I run a FTP download site, never had any problems.

Back
Top Bottom