Website menu design advice

Associate
I currently look after my local schools website currently the menu is Flash based and as more people seem to want to use apple and mobile devices I want to change the menu to something that is more wideley supported. So should I be looking at one CSS3, HTML5 or something else?

Soldato
Hmmm... CSS3 and HTML5 are not necessarily your passport to a responsive website, they're just technologies you can use. You're right about ditching Flash though.

My recommendation would be to get some hosting with a database and install WordPress, then pick a responsive theme (there are quite a lot out there) and customise it to your liking.

Associate
OP
Basically I after something that looks good but works in the main browers and is viewable on iphones and ipads etc.

It seems that looking at a number of nice CSS3 based examples that a lot of them don't seem to work in IE.

Soldato
It seems that looking at a number of nice CSS3 based examples that a lot of them don't seem to work in IE.

Depends on the version. Some of the CSS3 spec is in IE9, but you don't "need" CSS3 for the menu. Best to have it look great for people who care about their browser and then fall back to a functional only quality for the unfortunate or unwashed.

IE8 and down won't know what media queries are so you need something like respond.js to enable responsive behaviour on those.

Back
Top Bottom