Website/platform building costs / 'types' - Beginner qs for start up

Consigliere
Morning all,

I'd like to ask a few quick questions and this is coming from a total 'noob' perspective so i am sure i'll be back with more questions - treat me nice guys...been here long enough. :p

1) How many days (approx) would it take to create a website plus an attached platform.So an example would be a University/College...so they would have their main site and then the internal platform students would use to interact with.

2) In terms of cost, is this normally by the day?

3) Is there a 'type' of code that I should be looking at when it comes to looking at skillsets for website 'builders'? Eg I know about HTML, is this the well...best? :o

Thankyou!

Permabanned
1) How many days (approx) would it take to create a website plus an attached platform.So an example would be a University/College...so they would have their main site and then the internal platform students would use to interact with.
Depends how good you are. There is no set days.

2) In terms of cost, is this normally by the day?
It's as much as someone wants to charge, on their terms.

3) Is there a 'type' of code that I should be looking at when it comes to looking at skillsets for website 'builders'? Eg I know about HTML, is this the well...best? :o
Depends, there's a lot of types of code and it also depends on the platform. There isn't a set type of code someone should be coding in.

Consigliere
OP
Thanks @mrbell1984.

Would it be possible to guide me a bit on days/costs? Eg should a platform for a University/College (for example) where students can access learning documents, videos, upload/download files....a week and £1k for 1 person?

And again with the code part...or even could you point me in a direction of something i could read?

Permabanned
Thanks @mrbell1984.

Would it be possible to guide me a bit on days/costs? Eg should a platform for a University/College (for example) where students can access learning documents, videos, upload/download files....a week and £1k for 1 person?

And again with the code part...or even could you point me in a direction of something i could read?

Take a look at Moodle. I used to be a Moodle administrator. In terms of cost it really is up to you. I did it full time and took a wage as for freelance costs it depends. 1K for 1 person no... that's too much lol Once it's up and running you will only need to do training + install + maintain.

Consigliere
OP
Take a look at Moodle. I used to be a Moodle administrator. In terms of cost it really is up to you. I did it full time and took a wage as for freelance costs it depends. 1K for 1 person no... that's too much lol Once it's up and running you will only need to do training + install + maintain.

Ah ha having a quick look now. If someone was to build something like Moodle itself/don't suppose you know how long and cost?

Noted re once it's up and running. :)

Consigliere
OP
Once it's up and running you mean from an administration point of view? Maybe full time 30K-60K a year? How long? As long as you want? There is no time limit to administration.

Sorry i mean as in, if someone for example was to build Moodle from scratch (as in the actual website and platform) so not from an admin point of view.

Consigliere
OP
In that case it's a CMS so you could charge per weeks worth of work as it should take no longer than 2 weeks to get something decent up there. How much do you want to charge?

Gotcha thankyou.

And no fixed budget yet....this is very early days so seeing what is "normal" to pay so to speak hence the vague questions. :o

I guess what i want to know is is there an average price? Eg if someone quoted say £500 for 2 weeks work on a CMS, would you look at him and be like "that's so cheap it's concerning".

Permabanned
Gotcha thankyou.

And no fixed budget yet....this is very early days so seeing what is "normal" to pay so to speak hence the vague questions. :o

I guess what i want to know is is there an average price? Eg if someone quoted say £500 for 2 weeks work on a CMS, would you look at him and be like "that's so cheap it's concerning".

ohhhh you paying someone to do it? I got ya! In that case if it was me charging you I would charge you £400 a week as a set wage per day. Working on it 8 too 5 for 2 weeks. :D Other people would charge you couple grand.

You would need to add hosting costs and it would be best run on an internal server due too you hosting student content. If you need this accessable outside then you would need your internal IT team to configure all of that.

Bear in mind I have set Moodle up on internal servers with no problems at all. Both where on linux hosts with 32GB of ram. This was places where there would be access internal and external of about 250 concurrent connections at a time.

Last edited:
Consigliere
OP
Haha sorry thought i was clear at the start but realising there are lots of ways of doing this! :p

Okay brill and noted.

I may drop you a Trust in a week or so if that's alright? :)

Permabanned
I may drop you a Trust in a week or so if that's alright? :)

Not a problem, you can ask me anything you like about Moodle. There is another way to do it though. You can also get Moodle to host it for you but there is a bigger cost. It depends if you already have the servers in place and how many concurrent connections you are going to be needing access at a time.

Costs can go either up or down depends on requirements. I was looking at it from a point of view as in "I am the developer". :) Got there in the end.

Back
Top Bottom