Websites, whos best to host and admin for an amateur?

Associate
So I'm thinking of setting up a couple of websites.

One for personal things / humour - will have videos and photos as well as a blog.

The other for my new business I'm currently in the process of setting up. This just needs to be a place that has address, maybe an overview of the services we intend to offer, and contact details etc.

I don't have much experience building websites. I would like something that's fairly easy to edit and that looks professional.

Places I have considered are;
WIX
Wordpress
Go daddy

Does anyone have any recommendations and/or advice please?

To host: Vidahost. Sterling service as always from them. I have my business accounts with them.

Software, take your pick. Pretty much anything can be installed on the webspace. WordPress is easily installed, as vidahost has everything you require. Might take you a while, but you will soon pick it up.

Thanks for your replies.

I hope this doesn't appear silly , but I was unaware you can use software for web development. what little I have done, was all based online through the control panel of the hosting provider. I used Create.net for some eCommerce and it was very very easy to setup, maintain and design. but like I said it was all online.

So if I can buy software, what would you recommend? and how much will it set my back £?

If you are wanting to learn a bit more about the nuts and bolts of web development I would certainly start with W3Schools.
If you just want to get something up and running then Wordpress installed on some web hosting would be free and would give you the blogging functionality along with a range of other functionality through the use of free plugins.

As a newbie I went with TSOHOST. Reasonable pricing but their tech support service is fantastic. Some of my questions must be real basic to them but always have a reply very fast, in my last two tickets had replies within 10 minutes. And they ahve sorted my problems. Whcih were in fairness due to my ignorance being a newbie.

tSOhost for me, but these threads always end up being 50-50 with vida and tso.

regarding software, you won't go far wrong with wordpress these days, well supported, thousands of plugins...

Suggest you try the free blogs at Wordpress.com to start with. There are a lot of themes to choose from (some of the old ones have 'quirks'), you can host photos and videos, you can have static pages, and a blog. And since you can't fiddle with the CSS etc., it leaves you free to focus on your content.

There are plenty of businesses there as well, but for that you need to register a domain name as a first step. Businesses usually have some of the paid-for features as well, and tsohost might be a better choice for that.

Also remember that with WAMP you can set up a test system at home which you can play with to your heart's content.

http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Back
Top Bottom