Weights recommendation & Stronglifts

Associate
Hey all,

I have decided to invest in some weights for home. Could you please recommend a set for a relative beginner, free weights I guess. Also would you recommend the Stronglifts 5 X 5 program to a beginner?

Many thanks,
Matt

Man of Honour
Firstly well done for getting yourself interested in improving yourself!

Strong lifts is a reasonable starting programme but as with all things gym related it comes down to form and technique. If you don't get that right you'll struggle. In addition there's a lot of work to be done in terms of body mechanics and getting your body moving in the right way. So if you really are a complete novice getting a little bit of in person training and advice will be hugely helpful in my opinion.

As for kit well you can go wild... But if you're truly committed to it you would need:

Some sort of squat rack.
A bench
20kg barbell
And a selection of weight from 1.25kg up to 20kg plates. Make sure they're olympic plates and not any of those technogym things.

That can still be a heck of an investment hence my suggestion of giving it a go at a gym first or with a someone that can give you some guidance.

Soldato
I'd echo the advice to get some training, at least to start.

I've found it really helpful to correct form and techniques with 1:1 live advice from someone who knows what they're talking about to prevent injuries but also make sure you're getting the most out of the work you do.

Deadlifts, for example, are an easy way to hurt your back if your form is slightly wrong.

Soldato
I did Stronglifts for a couple of years during Covid, it's a great beginner program but many people plateau at 140kg squat on it (not me, I'm not there yet). I've just hired a PT and moved to a 3 day split hypertrophy program which has been made easier with the strength gained on 5x5SL.

Associate
I find doing little and often a better way to keep consistent. I do 6 days a week with each workout taking roughly 30 mins. This makes it quite easy for me to fit it in to my schedule.

Back
Top Bottom