Weird blobs on screen

Soldato
Hey,

Recently my system has started producing weird blobs on the screen while I'm playing a game, such as Alabtross. It only happens sometimes :confused:

I've checked the voltages in the BIOS..

the 3.3v vore is around 2.9-3.00v

and the -12v is around -12.85v

I haven't overclocked my PC at all. I have a 350w Antec PSU (Smartblue)..

Spec:

athlon 1800+
msi k7n-2 nf2 mb
512mb ddr dual chan
gf4
2x ide harddrives
2x 80mm fans

any ideas?

tia in advance :)

Soldato
OP
ya, just took this screenshot:

psuvoltages2ku.jpg

Associate
We do need screenshots.

True, the 3.3V line does seem low, but reported voltages are notoriously inaccurate. The only true way is to test with a multimeter. For example, my 12V line is reported as 11.8-11.9, sometimes falling as low as 11.65 under load. Given I have a Tagan 580W PSU this should not happen. Testing with a multimeter (on both 12V rails) gives 12.05V and unwavering even under load, so my motherboard monitoring hardware is way out.

Are we sure it is measuring the right thing? Might that 3.3V line actually be the VDIMM or VBAT (Otherwise the VBAT is low at under 2.6V). My guess is there is 2.6VDIMM and 2.9VBAT and the 3.3V line is not reported.

Martin

Soldato
OP
thanks.

at the moment i'm getting no blobs, but il take a screenshot and post it up when i do.

the voltages are the same in the BIOS too..

unfortunately i dont have a multimeter :(

Associate
the first thing I would assume is that the graphics card is getting too hot. Does it have a temp sensor built into it so you can check it out? Have you overclocked the graphics card in anyway? Do you have the latest drivers?

Associate
It could be artifacting.

If you have overclocked it, there is a chance it may be getting to hot and that is why you are getting these blobs.

Soldato
it sounds like artifacts and that if it is oc'ed then u should return it to lower clocks where these will not be seen. If it is not overclocked then you can try and rma the graphics.

Soldato
OP
Nope nothing is overclocked. Its a old card (GF4 Ti), so I don't think it has a temp sensor. It is being cooled by a different cooler than the standard one.

Thermaltake Crystal Orb:

corb23qi.jpg

Back
Top Bottom