Weird boiler pressure issue - keeps dropping.

Soldato
Not sure about that? the boiler will dump water if it becomes overpressurized... either straight out of the bottom of the boiler, onto the carpet, or through ones of these, outside, depending on the fault:

The boiler will have an automatic bleed valve. When a system is full of air, it can open a number of times when it is first refilled and started up, dropping the pressure back to zero each time. Depending on how complicated the system is, it can take days for it to get all of the air out of the system.
Anyway, it's easy enough to check, just keep re-pressurising it and running it for a few days and if it doesn't settle down then it is some other problem.

Last edited:
Check the tundish if you have one. Lol at turn dish comment above ;)

If its pressurised you may have lost your air bubble in the tank. Which means every time it heats up it will overpressure and dump that.
For me that was evident with a wet ceiling! Hot water would jet out and the tundish wasnt catching it all.

I now have an icecream tub siliconed round that pipe on the bottom of the airing cupboard. Every so often I check its dry.
I do have a slight drip if I heat with electric since the tank will go hotter on that.
Probably means my air bubble is a little low again.

Expansion tank will show similar effect.

Associate
A sunnier or damper area than Ron-ski....
Check the tundish if you have one. Lol at turn dish comment above ;)

If its pressurised you may have lost your air bubble in the tank. Which means every time it heats up it will overpressure and dump that.
For me that was evident with a wet ceiling! Hot water would jet out and the tundish wasnt catching it all.

I now have an icecream tub siliconed round that pipe on the bottom of the airing cupboard. Every so often I check its dry.
I do have a slight drip if I heat with electric since the tank will go hotter on that.
Probably means my air bubble is a little low again.

Expansion tank will show similar effect.
I've had this same problem for a couple of years since getting an unvented tank fitted - water dribbles out the tundish every now and then and I get a gradual pressure drop. Paid a plumber to look at it previously, but he didn't seem able to pin down - said everything was fine...! I don't really know how to narrow it down!

Soldato
I’m by no means an expert but there are only two places that can cause that issue (assuming it’s not over filled or the boiler isn’t overheating the water which I’d hope a competent tradesperson would catch immediately):

- the pressure relief valve on the cylinder is letting water by when it shouldn’t or
-the expansion vessel is not expanding properly when it heats which is causing the pressure release valve to pass the water to release the excess pressure.

Expansion vessels need maintenance from time to time and have a shelf life so I’d start by looking there.

Last edited:
Associate
First thing it to confirm that the radiator system is completely sealed. If it is then it will most likely be the diverter valve or the expansion tank. Both can be replaced but it’s possible to add an external expansion tank to the system. Once resolved, flush the system, fit a magnatec and add inhibitor.

Soldato
My bet is also on the expansion vessel. You can generally just pump these back up with a bicycle pump (providing it isn't perforated) and only take a few minutes to test.

Soldato
Cool - great advice all, however can you reduce your level to 'numpty'??? :D

When you say 'check radiator system is completely sealed', how do I do this?!

Then when you say check expansion tank and put a bicycle pump on it, how do I do this?!?!

Here you go.

“It's pretty simple on that beast if you have a footpump with a decent gauge.

Firstly turn the power off to the boiler.

Next attach a hose to a drain off somewhere on the heating system and open the valve, leave it open until the water stops coming out.....

Leave the drain off open and pop the front cover off the boiler. Now don't touch anything except for the red expansion vessel down the right hand side, looks kind of like a metal hot water bottle!!

You should see a schraeder valve on it - don't let the name panic you it looks just like the ones that you pump your car tyres up with

Pop the pump on and check/adjust the pressure until it's reading 0.8 bar (or around 12psi in old money), as you do this some water will come out of the hose that you left on the open drain point. It's supposed to do that!

Cover back on and drain point closed then refill the boiler to 1.2 bar.

Finally power back on and run it for 30 mins. If you're lucky it's all fixed, if your not the pressure relief valve will be dripping”

I had the same thing a while ago not the same boiler but the same symptoms, re pumping the expansion vessle sorted all my issues.

You have to open the drain on a radiator somewhere in the system as you pump it up as some water will need to come out.

We took the fill cap off a towell rad, mrs stood there with my wet n dry vac while i pumped up the expansion vessel and sucked up the water that came out, can do the same thing with a bucket if you dont have a wet n dry vac.

Saved a fortune on calling out a plumber, didnt touch the gas side, no restrictions on working on your own plumbing so didnt break any rules

Last edited:
My Megaflow is different to the above how to guide.
In fact the megaflow has the procedure on a sticker on the tank, its just the installers put that bit facing backwards towards the wall so nearly impossible to read.
But on mine you boiler off. Then turn a couple of valves.
Open a hot tap downstairs and wait for the tap to stop. It kind of gurgles as opposed to flowing.

Then repeat in opposite order.

Back
Top Bottom