Weird PC crashes

Associate
Hello!
My PC Speck:
CPU: i9-11900k(stock 4.8Ghz)
GPU: RTX 3080 MSI Gaming X Trio
RAM: G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 2x16(3600mhz XMP)
Motherboard: MSI Z590 Ace
Storage:
Samsung SSD 980 PRO 1TB(PCIe 4.0)
Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB(PCIe 3.0)
PSU: Seasonic PRIME 1000w Platinum
CPU Cooler: Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX 360mm

The problem that I'm having:

For over 4 month I'm facing PC crashes with the error code 141 in reliability monitor.
The crashes most of the time happen when I'm loading a game and screen goes black and the 141 kernel event is produced.

But, as I noticed the described crashed can occur when just booting the PC. Motherboard does all the check successfully, but when booted to windows loading screen, my monitor is just black and there is just a black screen. The issue is fixed with a reboot.

The interesting thing is that I can game for hours some days and no issue, but sometimes I can play a game for 4 hours and launch another game after that and PC crashes with that error. Usually before the crash there is some kind of an artifact in game(like unproperly rendered lights) or just a black screen.

The interesting thing is that the issue went away for some time and started happening again and it's been around like that for over 4 months.

What I've tried:
1. Tested my RAM using Memtest86 Pro 8 passed, no errors where detected, also tried another RAM kit from Corsair also 32 gigs, the issue persisted.

2. Done some stress tests like 3DMark, RealBench, CinebenchR23, AIDA64 stress test, Prime95 and there is no crashes. Which is really strange why it doesn't crash it benchmarks.

3. DDU the Nvidia driver. It does help for some time, but after a while starts happening again.

4. Cheeked all my SSDs in Samsung magician, didn't find any issues.

5. Checked temps, which seems to be ok. GPU ~75c max, with default fan curve. CPU 50-65c.

I'm not sure what causes the issue, but I suspect my graphics card. Since what I've read online points to it.

Would appreciate some suggestions and help with this issue. Thank you!

Last edited:
Soldato
Have you checked the SATA cables? Have you turned off power management for the SATA drives - maybe the computer is putting them to sleep?

Associate
OP
I've checked all the SSDs, they are M.2 PCIe drives, edited the post, to make it clearer. Seem to be connected properly. Checked windows power management settings, the option that puts them to sleep is basically turned off. It should not happen. Not sure if the bios has a specific setting.

Soldato
I've checked all the SSDs, they are M.2 PCIe drives,

The M2_4 slot supports PCIe only, not NVME (manual, page 17). Your Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB is a NVME drive. So try removing it. And check for a BIOS setting. You are running the lates BIOS, aren't you? If that fails, I wonder if you're hitting a PCIe lane capacity problem? Try removing all but the v4 drive in M2_1 and the v3 drive in M2_2. If that works then just buy yourself a large NVME M.2 drive.

Associate
OP
Yes, BIOS is updated to the latest version and that didn't help. A question M2_4 is PCIe only. Does that mean it works with some specific drives? Just want to get it straight in my head, what should I do and not do with that slot. Per my understanding it takes PCIe capacity from the GPU?

Interesting suggestion. I will definitely try and remove those drives and will see how it goes. But I guess validating the issue will require some time. I will let you know if that helps.

Associate
Try plugging pc directly to wall socket instead of through a power strip. Roll back any overclocks you may have on the graphics card or downclock it a bit and see if it's more stable

Associate
OP
But still strange, all the drives are working fine, with no performance degradation. If it's not supported shouldn't the motherboard just not see the drive? Or give some kind of a message? Like a post code?

Samsung 970 Evo Plus is a PCIe Gen 3.0 x4, NVMe™ 1.3

And my question is not answered, if the drive I have shouldn't go in that slot? Than what drive does? An example would be nice. Because now it doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:
Associate
The manual indicates it's not a NVME slot.

The manual makes no mention of NVME anywhere just pcie storage ie NVME

And my question is not answered, if the drive I have shouldn't go in that slot? Than what drive does? An example would be nice. Because now it doesn't make any sense.

It wouldn't work if it shouldn't go there, you get other drives for m.2 split it in to sata ports, wifi modules ect.

Back
Top Bottom