Weird problem with Visual Studio 2012

Soldato
I'm trying to get back into programming a bit more having not done a lot of it recently. I am trying to use boost's header only libraries, specifically the one for multiprecision numbers. A few weeks ago I created a program to solve one of the problems on project euler by following these instructions for the setup, then creating my own code. This runs without any problems.

Now I have gone through exactly the same process to solve another problem on project euler. However, this time my project will build but visual studios crashes when I try to run it. Even using the example code they give, or just making a simple hello world program will crash as soon as it tries to run. I cant find any differences in the settings.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the problem might be, or how to find out what the problem might be?

Soldato
OP
Open another instance of visual studio.
Go to debug menu, choose 'attach to process' and find the first instance of visual studio.
Run the first instance as before until it crashes.
You should then get debug info.

Thanks for the advice. I was in the process of doing this and noticed that there are two instances of my program still running in the background that even an end process wont get rid of. Hopefully they are the main cause of the problem but if it persists then I'll get the debug info

Soldato
OP
Restarting got rid of the processes, but they weren't the cause of the problem, rather they were a symptom of it. Sadly i cant get the debugging to work because visual studio either says it doesn't have permission to attach to the process, or crashes when it attaches to it.

I think I'll just make a copy of my working project, remove the (very small amount of) code and start from there.

Soldato
OP
Have you tried running VS as administrator?

Tried that, no joy but thanks for the suggestion.

Simplest thing is probably a re-install or repair of VS.

I've just tried that and got the following two errors:
1. microsoft visual studio 2010 tools for office runtime (x64) package failed

I've had a quick google and as the title says it seems to be to do with solutions that run within any of the MS office products and shouldn't affect the basic console programs i'm making so far.

2. Microsoft windows operating system The event log file is full.
I'm not sure why this would even happen because I've had a look in event viewer and my retention policy is still the default one to overwrite old logs. is this likely to be one of the causes of my problems?

I'm reluctant to reinstall because I'm not sure if I kept the install file and any keys that go with it, so it may not be possible to get it back since it was from a university account that I probably no longer have. Also, reinstalling would mean setting up the openCV libraries again, which was a ginormous pain in the behind that I don't want to have to go through again.

Have you tried a more recent version of Visual Studio?

I seem to recall that we had stability issues with (especially the initial release) of VS 2012.

2013 was fine, but the first release of 2015 wasn't so stable, but early signs from 2015 Update 1 are more promising.

I'm currently using VS2012 professional (it was free from university) and I'm failing miserably to find any comparison between 2012 professional and the free 2013 community edition. Can you find anything to show me what sort of features I'd be losing by making the switch?

Also, this would also require getting openCV working again if I ever wanted to use it, which would be painful (but if its necessary i'll do it)

Soldato
OP
Main difference between community and paid editions is licensing (i.e. you can't use the community edition for commercial projects). It used to be the case that plugins didn't work on the free editions but now you can use extensions since 2013 community edition.

If you're learning C++ I'd just stick 2015 community on, it'll do everything you need it to, and the C++11 support is much better than 2012.

Thanks for the info. Repairing the install of 2012 hasn't worked so I'll just go for 2015 since it'll do everything I need.

@PsychoDuck: Thanks for the advice, but I'm now so thoroughly fed up with this problem that I'm moving over to 2015.

*edit*
make that 2013 since 2015 community edition required win8.1 apparently

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom