Poll: WenGo or WenStay?

Is Wenger's time up?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
That was terrible, the game was bad enough...

But Wenger, the excuses are just down right pathetic now, please just go before you are pushed!

Don
Because people (including you) began discussing Wenger's future directly after the game, prior to MOTD and it was only a matter of time before somebody post a spoiler so I decided to lock it until after MOTD had been shown. I just forgot to unlock it after :p

Please recognise that discussing whether Wenger needs to go directly after a match might not be a direct spoiler but makes it obvious to anybody reading that Arsenal had a poor result.

Caporegime
I don't think I've ever felt so hopeless and empty as I do now about my beloved team.

TBH I've felt like that about Arsenal for a pretty long time.

I've said it many times, we will not win a premier league title under Wenger and neither will we win the CL either.

Best we can hope for trophy wise is the league cup although we never get far in that. Or the FA cup is our next best chance to win some silverware.

Do I think Wenger needs to go?? Before I was no but now as time goes on, I'm firmly in the yes camp. We need a new fresh approach manager wise and with Wenger, it's just the same old crap day in day out. Sure we have managed to beat some big teams but we just aren't consistent at doing that.

Also we have some utter dross at our club, players that should have been sold or shipped out asap.

Soldato
OP
Yea, I've been a Wenger in supporter for a long time.... but I think we are never going to change under Wenger. He just keeps trying the same thing over and over again. Expecting it to eventually work. We have no fight, no bottle, no organisation, no chance. It's fine losing to Bayern but at least do it with a bit of fight and organisation.

OK in the summer we signed on paper some good players. Mustafi, Xhaka and maybe Perez.... are good. But it hasn't changed much. We are still crap in defense. Our approach to games is wrong. Losing to Watford at home in the manor we did and then the way we setup in the Chelsea game... was typical Wenger.

Every year in the last 5+ has been consistently the same.

It is Wengers fault more than the players. He is the MANAGER. He is meant to be managing them. Also the strategy / formation is all wrong.

We need change asap. Hopefully this summer. We need a change of system as well. A new formation. A new approach. I would love us to play a bit more defensively it wouldn't be a bad thing.

We shouldn't fear change. There are loads of good managers about.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think we've needed to freshen things up for a few seasons now. He should have walked out after the last FA Cup win. Each season that goes on just tarnishes his reputation. So much so that people are beginning to lose sight of how awesome he was for us up until the invincibles. There has been a definite swing over the last couple of seasons in terms of people wanting him out.

I think most Arsenal fans will take the risk of a lean couple of years (not that much different then) to turn things around. Yeah we have some deadwood but we're not in terrible shape, I think a change of mentality is as important as getting a couple of new players in.

Soldato
I think we've needed to freshen things up for a few seasons now. He should have walked out after the last FA Cup win. Each season that goes on just tarnishes his reputation. So much so that people are beginning to lose sight of how awesome he was for us up until the invincibles. There has been a definite swing over the last couple of seasons in terms of people wanting him out.

I think most Arsenal fans will take the risk of a lean couple of years (not that much different then) to turn things around. Yeah we have some deadwood but we're not in terrible shape, I think a change of mentality is as important as getting a couple of new players in.

Winning the FA was probably the worst thing for us as it gave Wenger a lifeline otherwise he would have gone by now.

Still the pressure is definitely on now so hopefully big changes ahead.

I respect what Wenger has done for the club but it's time to go.

Soldato
I hate the fact he sticks to the same rubbish every week, doesn't drop out of form players or give players a decent run in the team such as Perez.

Iwobi should be dropped to the bench, I get his a talent but he is not a player that should be getting picked every week yet.

Sanchez should be pushed to the wing, and either Wellbeck or Giroud playing up top.

Soldato
Full disclosure, United fan.

Reading some of the highest rated comments on this BBC Sport article and I'm just baffled by what is popular opinion. Mostly comments trying to say that he deserves respect and he's the best manager Arsenal have ever had. I don't see ANYONE disagreeing with that, but not in a million years does it overrule the fact that he is very clearly past his expiry date.

A mate of mine from work is an Arsenal fan and he was adamant 2 or 3 years ago that Wenger shouldn't leave, for many of the same reasons as other fans but primarily because "there are no other good managers on the market". Since then Klopp, Conte, Pep and Mourinho have all taken jobs in the Premier League. Pochettino might even have moved to Spurs shortly after even, I can't remember exactly.

My point being, Wenger was a great manager. He might still be a very good manager for a different club, but we've seen time and again recently that when it's not right it's not right (best case in point probably Mourinho at Chelsea - good manager and good players but time for a change regardless). Wenger is a good manager and those are good players but for god's sake sit him down and beg for him to leave.

Man of Honour
I don't think I've ever felt so hopeless and empty as I do now about my beloved team.

I have, when Nasri and Fabregas left after the season had started and we basically had a pub team - actually wait that's a lie as the likes of Traore were too young to drink - thrown to the lions at OT for an 8-2 mauling.
Basically and I've gone on record as saying this I have not fancied Arsenal for the league title in over 5 years, so my expectations are lower than most fans, I think that top four is a realistic target to aim for. When Arsenal last won the league, the league was a much different place, Chelsea were in transition after Abramovich took over, Man City weren't even a glint in a Sheikh's eye, Spurs were nobodies so basically MU were the only competition with Liverpool occasionally getting involved. And that's before we even consider the fact that Arsenal just had a better team in those days.

In years gone by when Arsenal were in their pomp, I NEVER went into a home match expecting to lose. Considered it a possibility, but did not expect it. But in recent years against Bayern and Barca that's exactly how I've felt, because they are operating on a level above. Go back 10-15 years and they were not, IMO (don't forget it took an offside Eto'o goal to get them back in the CL final).

However I do have some concerns about the future:
-If Wenger decides in March/April to leave, what will this mean for the run in, will it affect performances (a bit like happened at Man City with Pellegrini) and result in missing out on top 4.
-If Wenger leaves I don't think a new manager can just come in, snap his fingers and have us challenging for top honours. I think a rebuilding excercise may be required to suit the new manager's style, and that exercise might involve dropping out of the top 4, which could compound the problems in terms of attracting top talent
-Alexis I think will get disillusioned, he is a committed player on the field but you see his reactions when subbed, and rumours have it he can be quite petulant off the field. The past two seasons he has been the only real beacon of light at Arsenal
-Ozil who knows, he may want to follow Alexis out the door. I'm not his biggest fan but he's the sort of calibre of player we need if we want to be competing with the top clubs.
-Top four battle is just genuinely more competitive these days, you've got Chelsea and Man City with all the cash, Man Utd and Liverpool resurgent under new managers, and Spurs finally stepping up to the plate with a good manager and good young core of the team that will only get better over the next couple of years.

Looking ahead the only thing that would genuinely excite me in the short term would be Simeone coming in, but would he want to?
Longer term, I am a big fan of Eddie Howe but it feels like he needs a stepping stone job if that makes sense, maybe an Everton or a Saints (not saying they should be looking, but clubs at that level), if he came directly to Arsenal he'd have massive boots to fill and if results were poor he might not be around a year later.

Associate
I honestly feel sorry for Wenger because he loves the club and he loves football and wants what is best for his team, its just a shame it isn't paying off anymore. i think the criticism is harsh and uncalled for as we arent in the same boat as chelsea and city with the money situation, or liverpool and spurs with the lack of midweek games, yet we are expected to compete on all fronts and win every game... nobody was going to beat bayern the other night, they were hungry and we were non existant. I feel for the players because i don't think they want to see the back of Wenger and some of them deserve more of a chance, eg welbeck, lucas, ox etc.
Im not sure how many people would agree but i would like to see us just drop out the top four for a couple of seasons, rebuild, lose the negative image that everyone in the media and on social media have about the club like the 4th place stigma, let the new coach find his feet and go from there.
Sampoali or Emery would be my first choices to replace Wenger currently, they instil that work ethic in their players and defend from the front, much like arsenal did back in the graham era.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Wenger has been slowly buying and rebuilding the squad. All those years how we managed to stay in top 4 with the weak team we had I don't know. I think people's expectations of Arsenal and Wenger are a little unreasonable. I worry we will change manager and things will go wrong for us. Unless we can sign a top manager, I would rather Wenger stay.

Would not have minded had he been replaced with Klopp or Pep. Not sure about Simeone, but would not be interested in Howe. I would rather Wenger stay another 2-3 seasons.

Soldato
I was pretty shocked with the Bayern game, was pretty sad actually. That 2nd half was hell, Bayern were amazing but we allowed them to be i suppose.
People are having a go at Wenger for starting Ospina and Iwobi but they had started every other CL game, would have been harsh to yank Ospina out, he certainly got stage fright, his distribution was poor and his composure let the back down several times. Iwobi shouldn't of started either really, he's been out of form, he could have had an incredible game though, such is football. I thought Wenger going with 442/4411 was spot on, we should have played Walcott up front though, him and Sanchez attacking the flanks behind the Bayern fb's. It would have been more devastating in my opinion, with Ozil at RM as well. The players let themselves down 2nd half, i've no idea how to explain it really.

Did i hear that the Arsenal fans were celebrating when Bayern went 2-1 up??
http://talksport.com/football/arsen...ure-now-arsenal-invincible-jens-lehmann-tells

Think it was here i heard it, something is not right if its true.
I don't see a way back from Wenger really, i just hope he's not hounded out, he's turned Arsenal into a global superpower.

Man of Honour
The one thing I would say is, Wenger has been here before. He's nothing if not resilient and on the face of it has the full backing of the board so I suspect it could go the same way it always does - wait and see if he qualifies for the CL, if he does then a new contract gets signed. There's always a knee-jerk after bad results and under him the club always bounces back. Let's be honest, getting hammered by Bayern is standard fare, don't forget even the all-conquering Barca team got annihilated 7-0 on aggregate a few seasons back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom