We're No 1

Associate
OK heres a hypothetical question.

Assuming you have one man, called Mr X.

Mr X works for a large corporation, in charge of PC support which includes rolling out security updates / patches over the network to approximately 800 well specced pc's.

Mr X is only going to be in this position for a short period of time, as the position is a temporary one only. Mr X has noted that the management do not seem to care what programs are installed on what PCs.

Mr X would very much like to open a can of whoop ass whilst SETI Germany is looking.

How would Mr X roll SETI out to the network, as a service, and make sure they all use the account he wants, which is an already regsitered account under the name of ********* (how does he input the project URL and account key to each machine).

MGP

MGP

Soldato
OP
Mr X would look in the Greatest official Boinc sticky which contains instructions to do exactly that I beleive under the heading of Automatic / Remote rollout. Of course Mr X would need to know how to get it all past the various firewalls, and hide the download / upload bandwidth of the crunching WUS from any one paying the bills, or wondering why the network keeps slowing up.

Of course Mr X should really ensure he does have consent to do this or it would be against the rules of boinc. ;)

Last edited:
Associate
Originally posted by carpmaster
Mr X has it sussed now thanks

lol I hope Mr X is a contractor - and if so i doubt he'll worry to much about boinc rules ;) Its at your risk

With 800 pc's does Mr X know if the company is running ISA or similiar ? and does Mr X have access / admin rights on said servers ?

If not he would have several problems accomplishing his plan

MGP

MGP

Soldato
OP
Originally posted by RogueTLDW
lol I hope Mr X is a contractor - and if so i doubt he'll worry to much about boinc rules ;) Its at your risk

With 800 pc's does Mr X know if the company is running ISA or similiar ? and does Mr X have access / admin rights on said servers ?

If not he would have several problems accomplishing his plan

Ah now if Mr X reads on in that same Greatest thread he''l come accross the way to get past ISA and probably similar. Ideally the APS thing would be installed on a server, but I think it can be on any workstation that has access to the server and the other borged PCs. It's just that unless the APS is always on, the borged PCs would soon fall over.

A thought occurs to me, if the project ever dies, will the eventual number of failed connections alert someone to the borging?

Associate
Mr X is not CarpMaster

Mr X is a subcontractor - Would like to leave a legacy behind

Mr X really knows his stuff, so I would imagine if theres a possibility of it being done, he will be able to do it should he choose.

Mr X will report back to me tomorrow

On a seperate issue, i'm trying to run BOINC as a service on my XP pro machine but its just not working.

Ive followed all the steps, but when it talks about setting the read/write access its not working for me. When I go into BOINC folder properties I dont have any options for read / write etc (except read only which I have tried unticked), and when I access BOINC in the service menu, I dont see anything about administator, just local + another one.

Ive tried both ways and BOINC appears to start but CPU doesnt go up, When I changed back to GUI I saw that it had changed from "always run" to "run based on pref".

Could it be the CLI version is not utilising CPU as I am active on the PC? Any way to switch the CLI version to ALWAYS RUN.

I could alter this from my SETI account page but I have borged many pcs and dont want them all to RUN ALWAYS as they might start to cry.

Associate
Originally posted by MGP

A thought occurs to me, if the project ever dies, will the eventual number of failed connections alert someone to the borging?

Depends - on the guys that monitor network traffic - if there are any and for that many users there should be!! .. I know where I am its secure as hell and would be noticed straight away without the project failing ! :( Hence why i can only use development pc's that are sitting on a diff network

Associate

Ive followed all the steps, but when it talks about setting the read/write access its not working for me. When I go into BOINC folder properties I dont have any options for read / write etc (except read only which I have tried unticked), and when I access BOINC in the service menu, I dont see anything about administator, just local + another one.

Do you XP pro installed on an NTFS partition or is it on FAT 32 ?

MGP

MGP

Soldato
OP
On a seperate issue, i'm trying to run BOINC as a service on my XP pro machine but its just not working.

I've only tried this on XP Pro machines that are attached to a domain. If yours doesn't have a domain you might need to adapt?

Open the Properties of the Service from Computer Management Select the "log on" tab
Select "log on as", and "Browse"
"Location" ideally needs ideally to be the domain name (if no PC try the local PC name?)
Then click "Advanced" & "Find Now"
Should allow you to select an Administrator rights account by double clicking the name. You should then be able to put that back in the log on box and set the password to match that of the admin account used.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour

Don't forget that XP "tries" to be friendly for all the techno-phobes out there - so it hides nasty stuff like protections - as you don't really need to know about stuff like that :rolleyes: - what you need to do is in explorer go into the tools option - then "folder options" and in the "view" tab scroll right down to the bottom - and UNTICK the "use simple file sharing (recommended)" - and you should get all the bells and whistles visible in the security tab of the file/folder properties pages.

I'll put a note about it in the sticky - keep forgetting as literally the first thing I do on an XP install is remove all the XP-isms - and make it look/operate/feel like W2K. Death to telly-tubby-land

M.

Associate
January 30, 2005
We will begin the migration to the new hardware at 19:00 UT tomorrow, 1/31. The project will be down for several hours.

Looks like there will be an outage today.. and I guess problems could be expected, so grab some work :)

Associate
Originally posted by MDPlatts
Don't forget that XP "tries" to be friendly for all the techno-phobes out there - so it hides nasty stuff like protections - as you don't really need to know about stuff like that :rolleyes: - what you need to do is in explorer go into the tools option - then "folder options" and in the "view" tab scroll right down to the bottom - and UNTICK the "use simple file sharing (recommended)" - and you should get all the bells and whistles visible in the security tab of the file/folder properties pages.

I'll put a note about it in the sticky - keep forgetting as literally the first thing I do on an XP install is remove all the XP-isms - and make it look/operate/feel like W2K. Death to telly-tubby-land

M.

Super duper - Thanks - SHould defo be in the sticky

Associate
Originally posted by MDPlatts

M.

Back
Top Bottom