Western Digital Unlocker

Associate
I have a friend with an WD Element drive, encrypted with the above software on a system that's no longer functioning...

Does anybody happen to have a copy or know where it can be found? WD don't appear to host it any more.

Thank you.

Edit, for those googling the same results as me...WD Discovery or Security does not work.

Last edited:
I think I used WD Security for mine. Try downloading that and giving it a go.

Failing that maybe the WD Discovery download?

E: Lol, sorry, failure to read whilst multitasking (which I obviously can't do)

E: E: I seem to remember having older WD externals where the locker was actually on the drive itself? I take it it's not here though.

Last edited:
Cheers, I think his drive is too old to be seen by those newer programs. I haven't had hands on with it yet, just a message asking me if I could find the app.

I'm assuming a windows, mac or linux version would work to decrypt it.

Last edited:
I did a bit research and googled it found WD Unlocker file name is WD Drive Unlock.exe.

Found Garysoft got a WD Drive Unlocker tool but file name is different WDDriveAutoUnlock.exe

Also found Garysoft got a WD Drive Unlocker tool with matched file name WD Drive Unlock.exe

Think Glary Utilities 6 may have these files or download it from the tool.

If it is anything like my western digital drive, the unlock software is on the drive itself, you plug it into a machine and the exe is there to run. I think it's called unlocker, but will confirm when I am at the machine this evening.

Yeah, windows sees the drive in device manager but no drive letter is showing.

*I've not had hands on with it yet, so it's entirely possible the drive has failed.

If it is anything like my western digital drive, the unlock software is on the drive itself, you plug it into a machine and the exe is there to run. I think it's called unlocker, but will confirm when I am at the machine this evening.
Thank you for confrming that I'm not going completely insane. I was certain my older WD externals did that.

Can't check at the moment unfortunately.

Last edited:
Yeah, windows sees the drive in device manager but no drive letter is showing.

*I've not had hands on with it yet, so it's entirely possible the drive has failed.

Recently used my back up drive on a Xubuntu based plex server (had to rebuild it) and the software worked in Linux.
Have to say, no drive letter does not sound good, one of those where i'd be tempted to get the drive and test myself, just to eliminate user error.

Does not sound great, will keep my fingers crossed!

can you see the partition in disk management? if so you should just be able to delete it and re-create it, assuming there is nothing on there you want to retrieve!

else try waybackmachine, you can usually download old files from there if they have the pages cached.

I looked back through waybackmachine found WD ELEMENTS PORTABLE 2TB with serial number started with WDBU6YxxxxBBK was launched in 2014 but product download page contained no software. I searched all other WD Elements Portable products downloads page between 2010 to 2014 but all of them did not had WD Drive Unlock software. I guess WD Drive Unlock.exe was probably part of WD SmartWare 2.2.1 before it was retired and replaced by WD Discovery software.

Hmmm I tried Bing and found something interesting.

File.net did not got WD Drive Unlock.exe on list, WDDriveAutoUnlock.exe was included with WD Security software, file was installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital\WD Security directory. So I guess copy of WDDrive Unlock.exe file probably already installed in C:\Program Files (x86)\Western Digital folders. I suggest you have to look at folders to see if file is there.

Back
Top Bottom