US: Westworld

Soldato
Did not really see where the $25M was spent, the West scenes / bar were good, but they must re-use sets with films like Magnificent 7
Hopefully not spend on the CGI, the horse and human creation scenes did not add much to the plot.

People need to realise it is not just "CGI". There is a huge amount of VFX in almost all shows. A western like this will have masses of clean up, removing plane trails in the sky, cars and trucks parked on sets... Blood and bullets are all VFX now. I suspect the plates from the dailies of this show is full of green screen. Then you add in that all these new shows are made in full 4K resolution you massively increase the costs of rendering and storage.

Then there is the post production process (colouring and DI), they also have to keep the full episodes online. Often on a top end SAN capable of delivering 4k at 4:2:2 (soon 4:4:4) to a Resolve of Flame for realtime adjustments.

Also I should point out that the episodic method of a shows being kept online at the VFX vendors and post-production finishing houses has changed from a few episodes online before resting in LTO archive heaven to all episodes being kept online until the full series has aired. Particularly Netflix.

If I were to guess, I would say a 12 episode top end show would occupy approx 800TB of space at 4k on exceptionally expensive storage just for the VFX.

Last edited:

D3K

D3K

Soldato
I was enjoying this until 2/3 of the way through then it seemed to crawl. Felt really unsatisfied with what I'd just watched at the end. It feels like they are trying to develop the robot characters which doesn't work for me.

Associate
Probably getting a bit ahead of the story here but who of the staff do we think are actually robots? All, some, everyone except Ford?

Take it Teddy getting brutally gunned down each episode will be a recurring 'joke' :D

Permabanned
I am reasonably hooked after 2 episodes. :)

Though as a fan of westerns and the associated gun play I find this aspect sadly lacking. Lots of "people" do get shot but its quite poor how its handled/portrayed sometimes.

Soldato
Not sure if should put in a spoiler but I will

He says he's been in there for 30 years. He can't be shot and in the slaughter of his captives family the powers that be said he's a guest so let him carry on killing.

What's his purpose for seeking the maze if he's a guest

v0n

v0n

Soldato
I'm not sure either, does he want to win the game or break the game?

Maybe he just wants to reach bonus level in the game. He's clearly done all the existing levels, scenarios and outcomes multiple times. Down to minute details - he knows the artificial characters by their names, their back stories, their families and homes. Not just where to go and what to say but he knows exactly how many bullets to lay down on the table, in rows for multiple reloads, before enemies appear, because he's done this routine so many times, so many days, he knows exactly how to reach the trigger for the next level (instructions from the kid).

"The guests don’t return for the obvious things we do, the garish things. They come back because of the subtleties. The details. They come back because they discover something they imagine no one had ever noticed before. Something they fall in love with. They’re not looking for a story that tells them who they are. They already know who they are. They’re here because they want a glimpse of who they could be."
Dr. Robert Ford

Last edited:
Soldato
I really want to like this but not convinced it's got legs.

Harris's character really needs to pull something amazing out of that black hat for the audience to be prepared to see what is at the end of the maze - and to be fair, an explanation is going to be needed fairly soon.

I'm happy to go along with the subplot of the hosts deviating from their programming and possibly becoming self aware. However, I don't see how this is going to keep going. The film worked because it all fell apart quickly. If they try to prolong the collapse, it might not work.

Caporegime
I really want to like this but not convinced it's got legs.

Harris's character really needs to pull something amazing out of that black hat for the audience to be prepared to see what is at the end of the maze - and to be fair, an explanation is going to be needed fairly soon.

I'm happy to go along with the subplot of the hosts deviating from their programming and possibly becoming self aware. However, I don't see how this is going to keep going. The film worked because it all fell apart quickly. If they try to prolong the collapse, it might not work.

Apparently they've got the story arch for the entire 5 seasons. It doesn't however mean it will get renewed just as Rome has 5 seasons arc too all planned out.

Back
Top Bottom