What am I missing here? 6900XT vs 6950XT both reference AKA MBA.

Soldato
OK so I have a MBA 6950XT.

OcLWFqS.jpg

Not my pic but there is one in pieces the same as mine. It is this card btw.

xz46hFJ.jpg

I needed a water block for it so I went on Bitspower's site. They had this, which I always wanted.

r9RZi5l.jpg

bqBuZMz.jpg

It is listed for a 6800XT and 6900XT reference. Or this.

ezBC5ae.jpg

Now to my eyes they look identical. From the scant info I can find online apparently they are. So I message back and forth with Bitspower, buy the block, and then they message me telling me I need to machine the block.

iocDs1I.png

Along there.

ShZeyoO.jpg

But what I don't for the life of me understand is why. Why would you need to do that when the PCB and even the components are identical?

@LtMatt do you know why this is?

It's not the end of the world as I literally have a friend with a mill but yeah, I can't for the life of me figure it out.

I don't, but there's a guy who posts in the graphics forum that might know. Had a 6900 XT blocked and then later a 7900 XTX blocked. Can't remember his name though, but his first name is Richard as he comments on my YT posts sometimes. I would find his name for you, but the Dons have blocked me from accessing that section for reasons unknown.

Last edited:
That doesn't look like the block being machined in that picture so it could be we're barking up the wrong tree here. It looks like the shell being machined so maybe the power sockets are in a slightly different position or something.
Should be nothing stopping you browsing the GPU forum read-only in an in-private/incognito tab - ie not logged in.

Nah mate we're not. It's my bad, I missed a pic.

sKFpCyv.png

Fiver... No tenner, says that when you install all of the billet shroud it is too thick to let the card go all the way into the slot.

However, with that said I am 99% certain I can mod one of the several riser ribbons I have (IE machine down that) and make it work.

Like I said, I don't think this is a 6950XT issue. I reckons it is a card wide issue. IE, a mess up in the design, billet beauty over function and ETC. Either way I am sure you could do a much better job than the butcher in the video she sent me. It's pure cringe. LOL :D

In fact. It may just literally be an issue with it hitting the mobo chipset cooling. Thus using a riser gets around it? like I say, we shall find out one way or another :D

Can't remember Skype details tbh. That long since I've used it and iirc they moved the goalposts a number of times since.
We'll work it out once we know what's going on.

Back
Top Bottom