What are you coding?

Soldato
Hi,
Are you working on anything good?
I have not had much work lately so have been doing some learning projects.
Path Tracer <C++, Vulkan>:
Found a nice YouTube series https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLlrATfBNZ98edc5GshdBtREv5asFW3yXl
Have extended the code to add:
triangles, textures, specular and model loading.

Music Player <C#, WinUI>:
Started as a “Just loop through a folder” MP3 player but ended up adding stuff just for fun:

Am currently working on hooking up a Midi sampler and sound fonts so I can play while an mp3 is also playing.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I'm a incompetent buffoon who dabbles with foobar2000 (audio player) component development. I'd put the quality of my C++ somewhere between terrible and appalling. But my stuff generally works for the most part. :p
My C++ is more C with classes than C++. I mainly use C# now. I just got the midi working, downloaded 40 different sound fonts to try out, it works much better than I expected. Really happy with the Piano UI control I created, although It does crash sometimes on first load, think I’m loading the textures wrong or something.

Soldato
OP
I even avoid classes when coding for myself - pretty much do everything with structs and enum.
I do mostly, only use C/C++ for 3D stuff as the UI is not important, although, Win UI works with C++ so might re-do my Ray Tracer and use Win UI instead of Dear GUI + Vulkan.

Soldato
OP
Learning swift and swiftui.

Coding up a programme to analyse fretboard. This will display the deviation of string fret position. Instead of taking 176 separate measurement, i hope I can take 7 measurements in parallel (so called polychromatic).
Sounds Interesting. I have got a bit hooked on working on a music code and am now trying to work out if I can use FFT’s to pull out notes from the sound wav and midi.

Soldato
OP
Yup i’ve done quite a bit with FFTS and phase correlation for 2D.

The short answer is yes - there’s quite a few transcription apps that do that. The more advanced even use music theory and scribe notation.

The fun with a picked guitar string is there’s a travelling wave caused by plucking the string and the standing wave. There’s also the mass of the string etc.
I'm new to this, just plotting FftSharp.FFT.Magnitude so far, not sure how to work out the frequency yet but it looks like it works when playing notes on the keyboard which is nice.

Back
Top Bottom