What are your thoughts on the Sinclair Spectrum

Soldato
Having been getting interested in earlier and earlier retro gaming (originally just being interested in 2002-2007 XP gaming, then Windows 98 gaming, then DOS gaming) I am beginning to get into 80s gaming. I see videos on the C64 and Amiga and kind of want one, but they're pretty hard to find locally.

However, there is a Sinclair Spectrum available for £50. I get the impression this will be really quite primative compared to the Amiga (and even the C64?) and I was wondering if it is worth picking it up for £50 with 3 games. Are they all tapes, or floppies? Is it worth sticking with, er, other methods to experience the Spectrum?

Are they are widely supported as Commadore machines in terms of SD card expansions etc. Will they use teh common joysticks (9-DIN I think they're called that a lot of 80s and 90s computers and consoles used?)

Soldato
OP
I've spent an hour playing around in a browser and was actually pleasantly surprised but the sound and graphics (although I was selecting 1985+ games). However I really don't think these sorts of games will keep my attention for long. Quite a few that look easy to play hard to master skill based games, but not the sort of thing I'd get out a spectrum and TV to play! Stunt Car Racer I found particularly interesting as I have played it a bit on my DOS PC. The technological difference is huge!

Back
Top Bottom