• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What C2D Cpu to get when using a ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA?

Soldato
im planning on a budget upgrade

wanting to still use my 1Gb DDR1 Ram and X800 Pro AGP card, im thinking a ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA and a C2D cpu is the way to go at the moment.

with respect to the cpu price drops

which cpu do i get? totally lost here lol, i would want to try and overclock aswell so please bare that in mind.

current spec:
A64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.3Ghz
Asus A8v Deluxe mobo
1Gb Kingston Ram
X800 Pro AGP

any advice much appreciated!

Associate
I have that board currently sitting next to me, without a CPU, and I'm a big fan on the e4400, as there is a 10x multiplier, meaning you should get it up to 3Ghz, if you can get the FSB up to 300Mhz...which seems to be the board's maximum FSB. the e4300 is good as well, with the 9x multiplier...but i'd go with (and i will buy myself) the e4400.
let us know what you decide

Soldato
OP
just done a search and read a few threads

it seems that for this mobo the e4400 is the one to get cos of its 10x multiplier so as you said 3ghz can be achieved.

so looks like its the e4400 :)

Associate
Considering this route myself, but with a Asrock ConRoe865PE (Socket 775) AGP DDR Motherboard so I can use my 4x512Mb pc3700 memory (DDR466) I assume it will work ok with this board and set up ?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-012-AK

What does everyone think about a E6320 with 4Mb cache and ability to run at

1066FSB, also how does overclocking work with this type of fsb or does it still start at 266fsb quad pumped :confused:

Cheers

Last edited:
Associate
The E4300 runs at a default speed of 200MHz x 10 = 2.0GHz, but when the motherboard hits it's maximum FSB of 300MHz you should be able to get to 300MHz x 10 = 3GHz.

The 6320 runs at a default speed of 266MHz x 7 = 1.86GHz, but when the motherboard hits the maximum FSB of 300 you're looking at 300MHz x 7 = 2.1GHZ.

So you'd be much better off with the E4300.
The limiting factor will be the multiplier as the mobo should be able to get to (or close to) 300MHz, and both chips should be OK at over 3GHz.

Associate
Just to clear things up a little the best chip would be the e4400 as that's the one with the 10x multiplier. 10x300 if the Asrock will do it = 3.0ghz
The e4300 only has a 9x multiplier as it runs at 1.8ghz. 9x300 is just 2.7ghz.

Permabanned
Hello mate. I would really consider halting upgrade til you can upgrade properly. The ASrock boards are the biggest pieces of **** in the world.

I know, I had one. You cannot adjust voltage, and yet they have a BIG voltage drop.

Honestly just wait. With the way the prices are atm, its nearly feasible to spend alittle bit extra and know you have got a good system..

All the best. ;)

Associate
The ASROCK 4CORE VSTA is completely solid. I am running an E4300 AT 2.7 on stock volts and stock cooling. Orthos runs stably for 12 hours et cetera. This seems to be the general experience, snazzy notwithstanding.

It is a perfect stopgap if you have old memory and AGP - for £100 you can get the board and E4300 with retail heatsink.

To do a bigger upgrade snazz, you need a 'proper' board, DDRII memory, chip, and graphic card. Not just a little more!

If I was buying today the E4400 for the 10x multiplier would make most sense.

Soldato
OP
artaxerxes said:
The ASROCK 4CORE VSTA is completely solid. I am running an E4300 AT 2.7 on stock volts and stock cooling. Orthos runs stably for 12 hours et cetera. This seems to be the general experience, snazzy notwithstanding.

It is a perfect stopgap if you have old memory and AGP - for £100 you can get the board and E4300 with retail heatsink.

To do a bigger upgrade snazz, you need a 'proper' board, DDRII memory, chip, and graphic card. Not just a little more!

If I was buying today the E4400 for the 10x multiplier would make most sense.

damn, im in a dilema now!

was gona go for the 4coreDual, then thought no and was was going to stick with my set up and just upgrade the cpu to an amd x2 cpu (939) and see how it goes

but now after reading more threads and for about £110 i can get a intel e4400 and a 4coredual mobo!

dunno what to do now lol

Associate
Thanks for all the replies everyone, much appreciated :)

Had to replace my old abit IC7 mobo for a cheap alternative a while back with a cheap asrock and its been fine with a mild o/c but have seen elsewhere that some users of dual core / agp / asrock mobos have had some issues with voltage stability but will take my chances, even at near stock this set up will be about double my trusty P4 3.2

I was a bit confused about the higher cpu strap and how it related to the fsb

looks like its a E4400 for me :cool:

~ is a standard cpu fan good enough too cool it up to 300FSB ?

Don`t really want anything too noisy as pc in living room

Soldato
Standard fan will be fine I reckon, but if you hit 3GHz it might be quite noisy to keep the thing cool.

A good cheap heatsink would be the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

Associate
p4radox said:
Standard fan will be fine I reckon, but if you hit 3GHz it might be quite noisy to keep the thing cool.

Its funny you mention that cooler, I'm building the same setup, and just bought that same HSF, as i've heard for that rig, its really the perfect cooler to get. I have to wait 1 more month though to get the CPU, as I have a family and stuff to take care of...its a bummer choosing between family and computers, although as y'all are aware family win out every time :)

Associate
p4radox said:

Cheers 4 that, got a big zalman jobby @ the mo so used to not hearing much, will give it a go if and when I get the ££

Back
Top Bottom