What camera? it’s been a while

Soldato
So I used to love photography, well I still do but over the past fews years I’ve had less and less opportunity to spend as much time doing it as a hobby as I would like. Logistics of taking out my ancient 5DmkII, multiple lenses and all the stuff that goes with it is just not practical/easy these days so I’m thinking about replacing it with something more compact/simpler but I have no idea what the options are.

Ideally looking for something smaller that still offers a quality upgrade over the 5DmkII, and will be thinking about having a big sell off of all my gear (camera, lenses, flashes, studio gear) to fund it.

So OcUK what can you suggest?

Soldato
OP
Its sounds like you may need to challenge yourself as to what you want and why you havent been using your existing stuff?
Why I haven't been using it so much is easy, life (kids/work/home) had been consuming more time so even when I have been taking pictures I've had less time for PP work which in turn puts me off using it even further. I've also been taking a lot more video footage and have been enjoying processing that however I'm slowly starting to get a little more free time so would like to try and use the camera more.

As I say it's been a while since I've kept up to date with photography technology/capability so was interested to know if there were smaller/lighter options now that produce better quality (or at least the same) than what I have with the 5DmkII, however if that's not the case I'm happy to stick with what I have. As much as I would like to I'm not sure I can justify the cost of upgrading to a newer 5D body.

Soldato
OP
I had been giving this some more thought and come to the decision that whatever I end up with (current or new) I'm still going to have a relatively large camera regardless to retain the level of quality of would like.

Mirrorless full frame would be great but seeing as Canon's offerings are yet to launch I can count that out on both price and availability, which is a shame as I could use my existing lenses/flashguns.

What has got me thinking though is maybe trying a second hand Sony body with a lens adaptor, something like a A7Rii (or possibly a new A7iii, non R).

As ever thoughts/input welcomed. :)

Soldato
OP
Took a little look at an A7 body the other day and was quite impressed with the size/feel of it and the more I read about the A7III the more I'm drawn to it but I'm not sure of that's just a case of me wanting a new gadget. :p

As I'm enjoying video a little as well I've decided to cut back on my still photography gear and sell off my studio lights and other associated bulky gear. Leaving me with the following Canon kit:-

5DmkII
24-105L f4 IS
50mm f1.8
85mm f1.8 USM
17-40L f4 (which needs repairing and I don't really use regardless)
580EX II Speedlite
430 EX II Speedlite

Decisions, decisions :confused:

Soldato
OP
Still researching the A7III and becoming more and more impressed, also looking into lens options to begin with and the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 Di III RXD is getting cracking reviews. Seems like they would make replacement for my usual 5DmkII / 24-105L combo, even with the additional weight that comes with getting the extra stop from the glass this setup would still be smaller and 23% lighter than I'm used to.

Soldato
OP
You can either get an adaptor and continue to all your lenses but I would get native for the best experience, you can get like for like with what you have but it will cost you probably double to replace after selling them.
I've considered an adaptor but reviews on those whilst positive do say they have their drawbacks so i was thinking go with the new body and Tamron lens, in parallel sell off my Canon kit when and as by which time I would have a better understanding if there is anything I felt I needed in addition to the Tamron.

Soldato
OP
I ordered the Sony A7iii last night but can't decide between the 28-75 and the 85mm 1.8, you buying just 1 lens for now?
Yeah I have a holiday coming up in a few weeks which will give me a good opportunity to play with the camera across various subjects and get a feeling of what I may or may not need (..well want).

Back
Top Bottom