What card for spending in Europe?

Soldato
Hi all,

When going on holiday in the past I have always tried to use cash (EUROS) mainly.

But it seems more and more places are switching to 'Cashless' - So I am now thinking about getting a Travel Credit / Debit card.

Has anybody had experience with Halifax Clarity or the 'Currensea' Card

Which one's give the best rates?

Thanks

Halifax used to always be the one to go for, but i prefer the Barclaycard Rewards now.

To be honest there's so many now i don't think it matters.

Worth trying to find details on cash machines too for whatever country you're in. Here in Spain the Sabadell ATM's only charge €1.80 for withdrawls but some other banks will charge up to €7 per withdrawl. Santander is free as long as you use a UK Santander card.
There'll always be times you need cash so worth being prepared to avoid being stung.

Currensea charges 0.5% IIRC so it's not going to be cheapest, it's just less hassle for some people.

I've heard good things about Clarity, but I like being able to withdraw cash and even if there are workarounds I don't like the idea of withdrawing cash on a credit card.

I usually use my Starling and Curve cards, but Curve seem to change their T&Cs about 15 times per year so I can't really recommend them in any way.

Last edited:
I just use a chase account for spending overseas. No exchange fees.
It is also a good bank account in general. The app is decent, and the savings accounts are alright.

Starling debit card, no fees abroad, either using the card to buy or withrawing from ATM

Last edited:
I always used a CaxtonFX Currency card for use abroad as it allowed me to "load" monies onto it from the app instantly and you can use Contactless and veen GooglePay/Apple Pay on your phone if you want.

I have noticed a few banks now offering similar cards which are linked to your main account so I might have a look at those.

I'd go with a credit card abroad for more protection from fraud. The Halifax clarity card works well and I've had no trouble using it at all. I don't think you can draw out cash without a fee though but for purchases it's a good one to use.

Just use my Starling debit card. Don't even bother with cash in Europe these days most countries, contactless through Google Pay is fine.

Some places like Germany it's still worth having cash, but France, Netherlands, Spain, Scandi countries, contactless is fine.

Just use my Starling debit card. Don't even bother with cash in Europe these days most countries, contactless through Google Pay is fine.

Some places like Germany it's still worth having cash, but France, Netherlands, Spain, Scandi countries, contactless is fine.

I guess it depends where you go, i've found a lot of places near where we are now don't like card, which has been super annoying and means i have to carry backup cash which i always forget to replace. However generally the bigger towns for sure card would be fine.

Monzo ?

Thats what i use,

just transfer money on to your monzo card/account, then use it to spend in europe.

No fee's

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom