What case to use?

Associate
Hi all,

Can someone please help me choosing the best case for my new build? I've been looking around for reviews but didn't really come to a conclusion as the reviews are not very clear.

Budget for a new case: ~ £80
New build include and ATX motherboard, possibly an RTX GPU (if I manage to get one without having to sell a kidney :D)
Haven't decided about cooling but at this point it will probably be air cooling for the CPU

Ideally looking for a case with a temp glass side panel.

Thanks,
proxyc

Associate
Fractal Design Meshify or Phanteks P400A. A bit more expensive Lian Li Lancool II Mesh.
Make sure it's a proper airflow case. Solid front panel, no miracle, will limit you.
Bottom fan mounting space is desirable, as could help a lot your GPU.

Associate
OP
Fractal Design Meshify or Phanteks P400A. A bit more expensive Lian Li Lancool II Mesh.
Make sure it's a proper airflow case. Solid front panel, no miracle, will limit you.
Bottom fan mounting space is desirable, as could help a lot your GPU.

Thanks for that. I will have that into consideration and try to find some reviews about them

Associate
OP
Be quiet 500dx or phanteks p400a

The Be quiet model seemed to be really interesting, as well as the P400A mentioned here were the one that I've shortlisted, but they are both above my budget at the moment.

Was well surprised with the reviewed about the Fractal Design Meshify as well, really nice case

Thanks for your help guys.

Associate
OP
What's the P400A like for dust? I have a Define S that lets litterally NO dust in at all thanks to it's filters.

I need to buy another case for my son, so interested if others are any better?

From what I could gather from the reviews it seems to have very decent filters to block the dust from coming in to the case. Have seen some review where was mentioned about the double thickness filters, but I not sure where I've seen it. Will post it here if I manage to find it

Associate
From what I could gather from the reviews it seems to have very decent filters to block the dust from coming in to the case. Have seen some review where was mentioned about the double thickness filters, but I not sure where I've seen it. Will post it here if I manage to find it

That would be great, thanks.
A I've seen is that the front mesh is the only filter

Soldato
Define S lets little dust in because its airflow isn't that great. The P400A has great airflow and the front mesh is effective but not as good as the much finer mesh in a DefineS. You can have great airflow or great dustfilters but you can't have both.

Associate
Define S lets little dust in because its airflow isn't that great. The P400A has great airflow and the front mesh is effective but not as good as the much finer mesh in a DefineS. You can have great airflow or great dustfilters but you can't have both.

Cheers. I thought as much. My room suffers badly from dust, as I have my Rad as a front intake, I think the define S with high pressure fans is probably the best option still.

Soldato
If it's any help, I did a mod on my Define S that cut out all but a one inch surround on the front panel and then covered it with mesh bought for just a few quid.

IMG_3351_small.JPG

Soldato
This has a 60mm thick 360mm rad behind it for a full custom loop.

The mesh came from auction and is "DIY Computer Mesh PC PVC Case Fan Cooler Dust Filter Network Net Dustproof Cover". I also put strips of mesh around the sides (on the inside) of the cover and the bottom which allowed me to remove the inside dust filter as well.

Two things made me do it, one was of course airflow. The loop temps were no problem and TBH, I doubt it made much difference as the rad easily cools the low power components. Mainly it was aesthetics. I'd bought some fancy fans and the solid front made them invisible :p but I do think it's a worthwhile mod. Cost under a tenner to do the whole thing.

Back
Top Bottom