What CC for your first bike?

Soldato
So I may be taking the plunge on a bike for my commute. All countryside lanes.

Was going to start on a 125 but a couple of experienced bikers have said not to and just go larger. Gives you bad habits apparently as you are just maxing the bike all the time. Is this true?

I am lucky that the missus works for Honda so we can get a 'staff' bike for peanuts, £30 pm and hand back after 6000 miles for a new one.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
125cc is more forgiving, weight near to nothing and when you twist the throttle the front end without leaning back won't go up unlike a bigger bike. :p

Soldato
Have you passed your bike test? If not, and want to ride on a CBT, you'll have to have a 125 as that's all you're allowed. If you've got a full A or restricted A2 licence then don't get a 125 - they overpriced, (dangerously) slow and only really good for commuting in towns.

The fact you've said "was going to start on a 125" would imply you haven't done your tests yet.

Soldato
A 125 doesn't need to be ragged all the time, you can just take it easy and enjoy the ride, up to 50mph you can ride it at your own pace, it's things like having to change down gears to go up a hill, really push it for overtakes and be ignored by most drivers as they think because you have L plates you don't exist.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
See if you like it first, 125's sell like cupcakes... My Duke 125 got sold for £400 more than I paid the next day I posted it. :p

Man of Honour
If you're going for you full licence don't bother with a 125 it'll feel like a massive step back from the bike you'll have learn't on. Go for something around 600cc, as long as it's not a sports bike then you won't have to be breaking the law to still enjoy it.

Soldato
Cool - I presume you've looked into the cost to get your full licence? it'll be around £600-£1000 in total.

£120 CBT
£30 (?) theory test
£500-£900 for 4-5 days of training and tests - somone might be able to reccomend a trainer near you.

You'll train and do your tests on a 600cc+ bike, the CBT will normally be on a 125. I'm guessing you're over 24 so you'll get a full A unrestricted licence.

A Honda will be a perfect first bike, I'd look at the CB650f, NC750S or NC750X - or the 500 range (personally I'd ignore these though).

I have a CB400 (50ish bhp) and something with that sort of power (as the NC750 and 500 range has) is plenty fast for a first bike - 0-60 in around 5 seconds, comfortably faster than most cars off the line. It's only when getting up over 60mph that it starts to get a little slow, and you need to be in the right gear to overtake, that's not a problem on the NC750x as it's got torque all the way from 1500rpm.

Soldato
OP
Cool - I presume you've looked into the cost to get your full licence? it'll be around £600-£1000 in total.

£120 CBT
£30 (?) theory test
£500-£900 for 4-5 days of training and tests - somone might be able to reccomend a trainer near you.

You'll train and do your tests on a 600cc+ bike, the CBT will normally be on a 125. I'm guessing you're over 24 so you'll get a full A unrestricted licence.

A Honda will be a perfect first bike, I'd look at the CB650f, NC750S or NC750X - or the 500 range (personally I'd ignore these though).

I have a CB400 (50ish bhp) and something with that sort of power (as the NC750 and 500 range has) is plenty fast for a first bike - 0-60 in around 5 seconds, comfortably faster than most cars off the line. It's only when getting up over 60mph that it starts to get a little slow, and you need to be in the right gear to overtake, that's not a problem on the NC750x as it's got torque all the way from 1500rpm.

Yeah, I'm nearly 40. Maybe I am having a midlife crysis.:o

Was actually looking at the CB650F. Like I said, I can get one for £30 or so a month. Seems stupid not to. We've already got two Honda cars, their staff scheme is pretty epic.

The GF's family are all massive bikers as well. Her Dad has just bought a KTM adventure bike and one of her younger brothers has a Kawasaki superbike of some sorts. They are both riding down to Portugal in the next few weeks to meet up with one of her other brothers who lives down in Sagres to go riding. I want that kind of adventure in my life!

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Yeah, I'm nearly 40. Maybe I am having a midlife crysis.:o

Was actually looking at the CB650F. Like I said, I can get one for £30 or so a month. Seems stupid not to. We've already got two Honda cars, their staff scheme is pretty epic.

Go for it, they use them at test centres. :)

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
I am lucky that the missus works for Honda so we can get a 'staff' bike for peanuts, £30 pm and hand back after 6000 miles for a new one.

So if I Trust you 10 months up front say 300 quid you'll get me one as well yer ? :D

Just go for it you won't regret it & doing all the tests is a good buzz once you pass.

Man of Honour
Only downside of the cb650f is no gear indicator, which can be tricky to master for a learner.

See I thought that when I done my CBT but you soon know if the bike is struggling or not, there's no real need to know which actual gear your in especially on a bigger bike I rarely have to change gears on my SV unless I'm going extremely slowly or really pushing on.
Anywhere in the middle and it'll just pull regardless of gear.

Soldato
Please tell it's not £30 pm insured as well? Even if not, that's dirt cheap! No gear indicator isn't too much of an issue, you just tend to try and change into 7th every so often! :D

And european bike trips are all part of the fun of biking, even better if you have people to go with.

Soldato
See I thought that when I done my CBT but you soon know if the bike is struggling or not, there's no real need to know which actual gear your in especially on a bigger bike I rarely have to change gears on my SV unless I'm going extremely slowly or really pushing on.
Anywhere in the middle and it'll just pull regardless of gear.

It's in situations like roundabouts, if you have chance to go but you are in neutral or 3rd without knowing, can be a pain. Also the problem with the 650f is if you are in neutral, the light doesn't come on until you let the clutch out, by then you'll need to put your foot down making your exit even slower lol.

Soldato
OP
Please tell it's not £30 pm insured as well? Even if not, that's dirt cheap! No gear indicator isn't too much of an issue, you just tend to try and change into 7th every so often! :D

And european bike trips are all part of the fun of biking, even better if you have people to go with.

All in. Same with the cars. Just collect them, put petrol in and hand them (the cars) back after 12000 miles. Think the bikes are 6000 miles. We have a CR-V as the family wagon and her car, I have a Civic Sport.

She can get a Civic Type-R under the scheme but it is the only car that they will not let partners drive. :(

She is on about getting a CRF450XR for green laning! She has to get her CBT for working there anyway.

We went to some BSB races last year as guests AND she is going to the TT for the whole week this year.

I'm not going.

It's funny as my family are against getting bikes and all of hers are saying go go go.

Soldato
It's in situations like roundabouts, if you have chance to go but you are in neutral or 3rd without knowing, can be a pain. Also the problem with the 650f is if you are in neutral, the light doesn't come on until you let the clutch out, by then you'll need to put your foot down making your exit even slower lol.

Stuff like that you soon learn though - in that situation you should already be in the right gear for the speed approaching the roundabout i.e. braking/slowing down for the roundabout you change down as you approach, into 2nd if you have to slow and wait for any cars, and if it's clear, away you go. If you have to stop, down another into 1st. A lot of it is planning ahead, which soon comes with experience. I've never had a gear indicator and never had an issue not being in the right gear.

Without a gear indicator, you just have to keep the bike in the right revs. slow a bit, revs drop to 3k, change down. slow some more, revs drop to 2500, down another gear. If you have to stop, down another gear and 9 times out of 10 you'll magically be in 1st.

Back
Top Bottom