• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What crappy luck

Associate
OP
So did you try putting the 3070 you had previously in it? That would rule out the 3090 being the issue. To be honest though it sounds like the psu gave up the ghost and took out the motherboard with it I've had that in the past with cheap psu's that literally went bang and nigh on took out the motherboard with it.

Without swapping out components its difficult to know for sure whats going on if you can beg steal or borrow spare bits to try out do so otherwise its one of those nightmare situations to deal with

Havent swapped to the 3070.....will do tomorrow as Ive run out of steam! Expect no difference as Im typing on the rig running the 3090 now.

Swapping components is the only way, throwing more money at it now as Ive ordered another x299 mb. By the end of this I'll have enough bits for a 3090 system and a 3070!!!

Man of Honour
This is yet another problem with these cheap garbage psu's. When they fail and kill other components (which is what they do 9/10) you are left with a expensive bill that you have to cover yourself. Hopefully your motherboard can be replaced under it's warranty unless they discover that it's been killed by a power surge from the psu and tell you to do one. At least with a quality manufacturer such as Corsair if one of their psu's fail and kill other components they will compensate you on a case by case basis so that you can get new parts.

Associate
OP
Definitely a live and learn moment. That PSU was bought years ago, when I had less money and when I started this build naively thought its 1kw so will be fine, not its the engine room so make sure its a good one. Top shelf GPU and CPU but forgot about the power....ahh well

Associate
Does the issue occur with the mobo outside the case as well? I'm sure I had a similar issue one time when there was a screw loose that had lodged it's self under the mobo and was probably causing a short of some kind. I think it tripped a safety feature on the mobo/PSU and prevented boot. Although this seems like a distant memory so I may be talking nonsense.

Associate
OP
Yep. I had the board propped up on a carboard box last night, same thing happens. Its weird as the switch works when pressed when its on to shutdown, so theres voltage at the switch header when on...

Back
Top Bottom