What do today's kids / teens make of Blur and Oasis?

Any of you here that have children will know that the top 40 is all about Ariana Grande, Ed Sheeran, Little Mix, Dua Lipa, LadBaby, Drake, and of course, sea shanties!

When we were kids of the 1990s, Blur and Oasis were 2 of the biggest bands, however, we were also aware that our 1960s parents were rocking the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, the Who, Jimi Hendrix and maybe a spot of rock 'n' roll.

We've gone from the 60s, the 90s, now to the 20s (2020s, not 1920s!), with the 3 generations spaced roughly 30 years apart. So I'm curious if kids listen to (or at least know about) Blur and Oasis. Do they know about Take That and the Spice Girls - the biggest boy/girl bands of the time? Then that Mariah Carey song that you hear absolutely bloody EVERYWHERE at Christmas time - do the kids know that it's from 1994? Those kids who are into modern dance music, what do they make of 'our' dance music back then (house / trance)?

Also, when I was a uni student from 1998 to 2002, there were cheesy 80s nights but there wasn't such thing as a 90s night. I'm sure 90s nights exist now, so I'm curious to what you'd hear, how mainstream it is, or do the DJs dig a little deeper into the Britpop, indie and dance side of things.

Nah that's fine - I did ask about 90s nights as well :-) There was plenty of music I didn't like in the 90s as well, and I guess people (including myself) dancing to such tunes and feigning enjoyment would be down to alcohol consumption!

I have been to some indie nights (Menagerie in Birmingham). It does veer off occasionally to cheesy 80s songs, but for the main part it stuck with Britpop and indie scenes e.g. Madchester, shoe gazing and crossover indie/dance. The last one I went to was 2018, so before covid but still recent(ish).

I was only thinking the other day that Oasis first album is now as old as albums from 1966 were when it was released. Seems absolutely bonkers that Oasis could be as old as the Beatles were when I was listening to Oasis...

My son knows a bit about Oasis simply because I listen to it and we tend to have Radio X on in the car which plays a lot of proper Indie music.

That's scary isn't it, comparing the time difference between the Beatles vs Oasis vs now! Good on you for educating your son :-)

Which ultimately means when I try and show her my music she's no doubt going to complain it's old peoples music :p

Indeed I am quite middle-aged now, being nearly 44. But honestly, calling it "old peoples music" is rather sobering. Depressing even :p

My 7yo, 4yo and about to be 2yo have been brought up on, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden, 90s and early 2000s Trance, Helloween, Slayer and Bob Marley. Oh and the music from Bounce patrol lol.

Good man!

Every generation thinks their music is the best and new music is bad.

Every 20-30 years or so, it just goes full circle. I can listen to stuff from the 60s, 90s and now (2022).

But outside of Rock music Michael Jackson for example.

Good shout about MJ. He was huge in the 80s and 90s and despite the Neverland controversies (inviting kids to stop over), I still enjoy his music.

There is still good music you have to find it.

Agreed. For commercial music (signed bands), I have dance and indie folders on Spotify, and then let Spotify curate more music for me based on my playlists. In the pre-Spotify days (and still now), I go onto the likes of Soundclick, Soundcloud and YouTube's royalty-free channel to download amateur music (unsigned bands).

I detest most modern music. No idea why we are singing/rapping about killing people, killing cops, committing crimes etc.

That's nothing new. In the 90s, think of the likes of NWA, **** The Police, plus the gangsta rap saga that would become known as "East Coast vs West Coast".

Yeah I'd avoid the charts - unless that is your jam - but if you know the genre you're interested in, there are tonnes of good albums being released.

Just quoting your post as I like a spot of jungle as well. Oldskool jungle from 1993-95 that is :-)

Reddit and joining subreddits of your genre of choice is a good way to be made aware of new music also

Also quoting this as I know of Reddit but didn't know it had newsgroups for music genres, so I'll get digging. Thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom