• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

What do we think about the Snapdraon X Elite (ARM for windows)

Associate
Everything is pointing to it being great, synthetic benchmarks look good so far and given the power/performance it looks like it can compete with the M3/M3 Pro series

previous ARM for windows has been crap, but I feel like windows is catering towards ARM way more now. Especially with emulators and windows 12 rumours hinting at being good for ARM

Soldato
Everything is pointing to it being great, synthetic benchmarks look good so far and given the power/performance it looks like it can compete with the M3/M3 Pro series

previous ARM for windows has been crap, but I feel like windows is catering towards ARM way more now. Especially with emulators and windows 12 rumours hinting at being good for ARM
Just yesterday I was watching a documentary on YouTube about the Amiga and how much better it's hardware was then anything else that was around at the time. It got me thinking just how popular and widespread the Motorola 68000 CPU was during the 80's and early 90's yet it very quickly went out fashion as x86 became the dominant instruction set due to backwards compatibility.

The only other serious contender since then was PowerPC which was used in Apple machines before they switched to Intel but it never got any traction from Windows users. ARM has all drawbacks that those other standards had, it would be nice to have an CPU that could run Windows applications but I suspect it would be little more then a novelty.

Associate
Just yesterday I was watching a documentary on YouTube about the Amiga and how much better it's hardware was then anything else that was around at the time. It got me thinking just how popular and widespread the Motorola 68000 CPU was during the 80's and early 90's yet it very quickly went out fashion as x86 became the dominant instruction set due to backwards compatibility.

The only other serious contender since then was PowerPC which was used in Apple machines before they switched to Intel but it never got any traction from Windows users. ARM has all drawbacks that those other standards had, it would be nice to have an CPU that could run Windows applications but I suspect it would be little more then a novelty.
Such a shame. Motorola decided it could not push the 68000 any more and dropped it for the powerpc

Soldato
Such a shame. Motorola decided it could not push the 68000 any more and dropped it for the powerpc
The reality was although the 68000 was popular it was expensive to manufacture and wasn't all that profitable. Intel had a ton resources and manpower to rapidly improve x86 and Motorola just couldn't keep up.

As for Commodore I think had they been able to stay in business the tech they had developed for the Amiga and hardware they had in development might have eventually led them to producing GPU's and we could have had a 3rd player in that market.

Back
Top Bottom