What Do You Use jQuery Most For?

Soldato
Hi Guys

What do you tend to use jQuery most for? I have tended not to use it because I prefer simplicity, but as it's an in demand skill I thought I'd take a closer look. So far I've just used it to toggle a mobile menu on and off, but what else do you think it's good for?

Thanks

Soldato
There are a huge amount of possibilities, difficult to list on here! I use it for all my interaction with HTML elements on pages, it makes things so much easier and the syntax is nice. Plus it makes ajax ridiculously simple which is nice.

Associate
I have noticed you have mentioned in 2 posts that jQuery is a in demand skill. I struggle to believe this. I know that if I was writing a job spec today for a Javascript developer jQuery would not be on my list of required skills.

Soldato
OP
I have noticed you have mentioned in 2 posts that jQuery is a in demand skill. I struggle to believe this. I know that if I was writing a job spec today for a Javascript developer jQuery would not be on my list of required skills.

Well I've been looking at a lot of job listings for web designer/developer lately and I see jQuery mentioned all the time.

Associate
fudging things.

Or "finding a really inefficient way of doing something simple".

In my opinion using jQuery without a really strong grasp of exactly how it's working under the hood is a big mistake - and if you did have that level of knowledge 95% of the time you would choose not to use it anyway.

Cross-browser compatibility has come a long way since jQuery was considered almost mandatory. In fact, I'd go so far as to say querySelector/querySelectorAll covers a huge chunk of the average jQuery usage as it is.

Caporegime
Hacking :p

It can be used for all sorts, hard to give specifics.

You will see jQuery mentioned in job listings because I would guess most front end developers will have dabbled with it at some stage.

Associate
Last time I used jquery in anger, it was just a hack. The business wanted one specific element (if it appeared) in a list of links to appear much larger than others.

Jquery was the quickest, easiest, and probably dirtiest way of sorting it, so that's what got used. :D

Back
Top Bottom